Old 10-15-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
my4boys2002
Ribbing the Cuff

Unwinding hank of yarn
I bought a few hanks of cascade 220, Iv'e never bought a hank. I tried doing one manually and I'm now the proud owner of a big jumbeld mess of yarn. How do you unwind a hand? Should I buy a ball winder?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-15-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
AidanM
Turning the Heel

You should put the hank on the back of a chair, or if you're lucky you could try and find a swift which is a thing that will make the hank easier to unwind. The ball winder is no good if the hank is not set up properly.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well now that i have my ball winder i don't think i would want be without it and i hate regular skeins of yarn because trying to find the beginning almost always requires me to rewind it into a ball anyway since so much stuff comes out of the middle when i pull.

that being said, i went for several months without one and didn't have too much of a problem. what i would say is carefully untwist it and pull it out into the big loop (kinda like the loop you start with when you start a game of cat's cradle ya know?) then i would grab one of those four boys of yours and have them get comfy and hold out their hands and start unwinding. if you can't catch one of them before they all escape the room then i would say wrap it around the back of a chair, i wrapped mine around my laptop monitor so i could talk to y'all while winding. there are lots of ways to do it.

and yes, i did start with the jumbled mess a few times. i can't help but find unknotting to be oddly therapeutic sometimes though.

goood luck! it can be undone, just be patient....and prolly wanna do it after those boys are in bed (assuming that they aren't 20 or hamsters of course)
Old 10-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
liznwillow
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to liznwillow Send a message via Yahoo to liznwillow
Quote:
and yes, i did start with the jumbled mess a few times. i can't help but find unknotting to be oddly therapeutic sometimes though.
oh that's so true! All the times I've gotten my hanks into a knotted mess it has taken me HOURS to untangle it all. But, just sitting there on the couch with all those knots makes for some good meditation!