Old 10-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #1
DRIVER
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to DRIVER
1st time Scarf Maker
OK so I am making a scarf and I want it to have horizontal stripes....

How many cast on's should I do. I have found that the 240 casts ons in the pattern that I am doing seems like the scarf wont be long enough. If I do add more cast ons to make the scarf longer...what will happen to the cast ons that I have on my needle....????... they will come off cause the needle is only so long.....is it ok if it does?....will it be ruined if i dont keep em on the needle?.....do I add another needle at the end ?

LOL....

I am sure I will have a lot of questions as I go through my project.....so please stay tuned......thankx
DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-16-2005, 05:37 AM   #2
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
I is definitely problem if they fall off of the needle. You will need a longer one. If you want to lengthen the scarf you can add cast ons. Assuming it is a plain stockinette or garter scarf with no pattern repeats, do a test swatch with the same yarn and needle size to find out how many stitches per inch you are working and then multiply that number by how many inches long you want it to be. That will be how many to cast on.

Have you considered making it with short stripes instead? Much easier to work side to side than length wise.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
DRIVER
Casting On

the scarf that i am making is only 2 colours and I want the stripes to be alternating but no real pattern...thin line here...thick line there....

oh and another thing......I keep on reading that a garter scarf is the best way....is that a kinda of stitch...and how do I do the beloved stitch?...

I should have paid more attention to my Grandma/and Home Ec. when I was younger.....so that I wouldn't be 26 years old and I can't even make a scarf...LOL :rollseyes:
Old 10-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
Garter stitch is knitting each row. Very easy. It is perfect for scarves because it lays flat and is reversible (bumpy on both sides). Stockinette, for instance is not really a reversible stitch because you have a flat front and a bumpy back, and it curls at the ends and sides.

Don't feel bad about learning at age 26. I didn't start knitting until 6 months ago and I am about to turn 34
Old 10-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
DRIVER
Casting On

So this garter stitch that we speak of...its just the basic kind of stitch?..just making sure that I do it in a row?...

well that shouldn't be to hard to figure out! I guess I will have to see.....I am soo excited...... :sunny:
Old 10-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
foothills
Turning the Heel

Why wouldn't you use circular needles which could accommodate all of those stitches and just use them as straights (knitting back and forth)?

Joyce
foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
DRIVER
Casting On

Well I am in china ...teaching english....and never really knew how to knit....and all these tools and terms to help the knitting process.....I wonder if they even have such a thing here....as circular needles??......

another question though.......the access string that i had for my cast ons...do I just cut it or some how knit it into the scarf?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #8
foothills
Turning the Heel

When you finish the scarf, you can cut the cast on tail and weave in the ends. Not sure if there are circular needles available in China, but sounds as if they would make your project a little less awkward.

Since you are relatively new to knitting, be sure to check out Amy's videos by clicking on the tabs above and you will gain lots of knowledge on needles and terms involved in knitting that will help you...plus, there are lots of people on this forum who are usually readily available to answer questions...where are you Ingrid....Kelly?

Joyce
foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Foothills, you're doing fine!

One thing that I wonder about is that you cast on 240 stitches for the scarf. This seems like a lot for straight needles. Did you cast on to knit it the long way? If you need to use straights, you should be able to knit it on the short side with fewer stitches. The stripes will run the short way, but unless you can get a hold of circular needles, which are two needles connected with a cable, I don't think it'll work too well. If your stitches fall off the needle, you're doomed.

Since you're so new, watch the videos, and knit a few small pieces, as April suggested. You'll get a better feel of knitting before you attempt a scarf.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
DRIVER
Casting On

Yeah I have already casted on 260 and they seem to be staying on fine...I will have to wait till tomrrow to run out and look for the needles in which you speak of. If I can not find them....and I keep on going will the possibilty if it turning out be good?