Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #21
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Here's a list of LYSs in MO....

http://knitting.about.com/library/blmo.htm
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #22
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Kome...how was the group?!!! TELL, TELL!!
Carmell...sweet pic

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #23
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi all,

My condo association just started a knitting group two weeks ago.
We had 24 people at the first meeting!

I've only lived in the complex since January, so I didn't know most of the people, but it was great! I took my brand new Denises ( the needles - not you, foldedbird!) and the FT clog pattern. I taught two people how to do a long tail cast on, and one person how to purl. I also took a couple pairs of baby socks, and soon I'll be explaining how to "TURN THE DREADED HEEL".

Lots of the people had never seen interchangeables before, so mine were passed around and ooo'd and ah'd over. I also took all my Knitpicks color cards, and I know they'll be getting more business. Everyone was amazed at $1.79/ ball WOOL.

One thing that made me a little sad had to do with some of the LYSs in the area. When a newbie comes in and they fall in love with a ribbon yarn or eyelash, or something really fuzzy, the LYS doesn't tell them how hard it will be to LEARN on that yarn. Then when they're on their own they get discouraged because they can't tell what they're doing wrong, or sometimes even see where one stitch starts and the next one ends!
I suggested to a couple people that they get a ball of smooth worsted or bulky weight to practice on, or combine with their novelty yarn. I hate to see people give up on knitting because they start with the wrong materials! Has anyone else had this experience? I also told everyone I could about KH.

Happy Knitting and keep spreading the word! :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #24
kome
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to kome Send a message via Yahoo to kome
Ugh... I went and no one was there. I stayed for 30 minutes and no one ever showed up. :crying: I even tried the other location they go to sometimes, and they weren't there either.

Granted... I didn't know what anyone looked like, but I also didn't see any knitting needles out or anything. I've just emailed the coordinator, so I'm hoping I'll find out what happened. BLEH. I am not having a good day. I got my debit card out at the bank to check my account balance and guess what wasn't there??? My liscence! And then earlier I went to the thrift store I got hired at and this lady says to call for an interview. WTF?!?! *cries* WAAAAAAAAIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #25
margie
Instepping Out

Aww, Kome, I'm sorry you had such a bad day. :(

I went to my knitting group tonight!! It was fun. There were about 8 people there. I was the youngest woman- there was a college age guy there for a little while- his mom was also there- along with several older women and some more closer to my age. They were all very friendly. They do a lot of charity knitting for an Indian reservation in the Dakotas. I will definitely go back again next week!! It was fun knitting with other people.
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #26
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
Me too!!! Don't let it get you down, OK?
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #27
Licensed2Cook
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Licensed2Cook Send a message via Yahoo to Licensed2Cook
Group knitting is wonderful, and I belong to the best group there is. These women are so much fun, they are the inspiration for my knitting retreat. I wanted to create a weekend where every knitter could feel the joy of being surrounded by other knitters and I have 4 rooms left if any of you are game

My group meets every Thursday evening in the Starbucks of a Barnes & Noble and we all really look forward to these knit nights. We take field trips out of state, take classes together, meet for dinner and travel to see any new LYS. We celebrate one anothers birthdays and we even had a potluck in my home where we put together a friendship afghan for one of our members that has since moved to California.

So please don't give up, it is so worth your effort to find a compatible group. Good Luck!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:44 AM   #28
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by Licensed2Cook
...and travel to see any new LYS.
If any of your ladies want to come with you on the 29th, Dee, they are welcome!!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 AM   #29
snooc
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm actually looking for a group in my area here in MA. Does anyone know the best place to look for listings?
snooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #30
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Ask (PM) Amy! She lives in Mass....