Old 10-19-2005, 02:14 AM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Arrrgghhh! Please tell me I'm not alone!!
I've been working in the feather and fan dishcloth and it's a pretty easy pattern that I've pretty well got memorized now. Problem is I'm sick of playing froggy with it! I've started over about 4 times now!! This time I thought I was doing so well and then I find I messed up about 6 or 7 rows back...a couple dropped stitches and with the detail in this pattern it is impossible to fix so here I go again! Does anyone else have to start over a lot? Especially when they are new at this? I love knitting, but I'm about ready to rip my hair out!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-19-2005, 03:19 AM   #2
eggplant
Ribbing the Cuff

You're not alone!!

Something about dishcloths-- they're so small, so easy, so oops! Ribbit.

Seriously, after frogging the same dishcloth for the third time, I switched to making sweaters. I've never had that same trouble with the sweaters (mistakes that "ruined" the piece, or that couldn't be undone). I guess because the stakes are higher, I tend to pay better attention.

I swear I'm going to go back and finish that dishcloth someday. I can't let it get the better of me!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I LOVE knitting lace....but there's something about the first pattern repeat. Every time I have started a new piece, I am CONVINCED that there is a pattern mistake (ask Ingrid...she probably rolls her eyes every time I start something new) because I NEVER end up with the right st count the first time. I ALWAYS have to start over a couple times before I get it right. And, I usually found out I was making some STUPID mistake, like misinterpreting the decrease instructions or some goofy thing like that. I have quickly learned to count my sts after EVERY row! You are NOT alone!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
I didn't roll my eyes because my first set-up row of any lace or cable pattern tends to give me a problem. With color patterns I've had problems, too, but I've learned to check more often--because it's easier too. When my first row is k/p type of stuff, it's harder to see what I've done on the first row. It is my nemesis.

For a washcloth that's causing perpetual problems, switch to another one. Get some knitting satisfaction rather than frustration!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm always saying just once I'd like to start something and not have to frog it!! I didn't have to frog my sweater but thats just cause my teacher was like noo we can work with that its ok if your stitch off cause of your yarn don't rip it... Or I'd prolly still be :XX: the yoke section lol... I've been told I think to hard on it and should just do it... if i have a mistake that can be 'fudged' later leave it :rollseyes:

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I've finally learned to give each row or round a quick double check before continuing in pattern...it only takes a split second and has become habit and certainly has helped with the quantity of my tinking!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanks everyone! Nice to know I'm not alone. I was checking regularly, but NOT every row which I should obviously have done. I would just stuff it and not worry about a "little" mistake, but this is a big one that would eventually leave a gaping hole. :rollseyes: I am determined to finish ONE project! But maybe I'll try another pattern.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Well, I decided I had nothing to lose by ripping it out to the slipped stitches so that's what I did. I got it back on the needles, but of course didn't know at what point I was in that pattern. Sooooo I did one row..didn't look right so ripped it out again. I tried another one and that didn't look right...tried again and now it looks pretty good! I just had one more error of one too many stitches at one point, but I said forget it and just incorporated it into the k2 together. You can tell, but it's not a glaring mistake. Yeah, almost done now!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-19-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
SoapDoc
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: Arrrgghhh! Please tell me I'm not alone!!
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Does anyone else have to start over a lot? Especially when they are new at this? I love knitting, but I'm about ready to rip my hair out!!
You are SO, SO not alone, I think most of us are pretty picky when it comes to our creations. The good news is that as you become more experienced, the mistakes get less and less frequent, or so I am told :rofling: I am still making them pretty frequently.

At least you're (very wisely) working with a yarn that's easy to frog -- ever tried to do it with a mohair blend?? I tossed the whole project and put that yarn away for when I have more experience. It's darn near impossible to get that stitch out!!

Hang in there, it gets better!!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
If its any consolation, I just spent an entire evening knitting sleeves and then taking them out. In intarsia. I realized that there was just too much chart to follow to do both at once, so I slipped one off. Then I decided that I had "cheated" too much and had carried yarn across the back more than I should have. So I ripped it out to the ribbing and started over, and I'm so, so glad I did. I'm doing it 'right' this time even though it involves attaching lots of strands of yarn, but it will be so much better in the end. Sometimes it's worth it and sometimes its not. This is one of the times it's best to decide to just do it right.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote