Old 10-22-2005, 05:55 AM   #1
dakirk
Casting On

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH
Slightly frustrated. First "big" project, the ribbed scarf from Stitch n Bitch. All it is, is knit 2 - purl 2, hardly rocket science is it!!!. I have unwravelled it (or I believe the correct term is frogged) 5 times due to purling when I am knitting and knitting when I should be purling - and DONT get me started on extra stitches. I cant see how I will ever advance onto anything more complicated then this!!!! Still SO satisfying when you see a pattern emerging, even if it is only ribbing and you dont look too hard at the mistakes, suppose the only way is up!!! feel better for that rant
dakirk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susies1955
I'm only a three week knitter and the gained and lost stitches was happening to me until I started slowing down and really looking at what I was doing. I was going into the stitch plus taking the bottom stitch with me (or something like that) I was also splitting the fibers and creating what looked like two stitches so I would knit them both and sometimes I didn't wrap the needle and lost a stitch. I think new knitters have a tendency to try to "LOOK" like a real knitter ,lol, and go too fast. At least that is what happened to me.
The knitting and purling you are talking about I have not had a problem with as I look at the fabric before I start each row to see if I'm suppose to knit or purl. When you see the "V" you knit and when you see the "BUMP" you purl.
I also inspect everything after a row or two to see if there are any problems and I also count my stitches after every row to check to see how that is going. Time consuming????? Yes, and you sure have to have patience BUT it is paying off for me because I just started a sweater and I have had no dropped or added stitches. I did have a mistake that I didn't know how to fix without ripping so I ripped back but it was only a few rows because of my constant checking.
I think after some time we won't have to be so CONSCIOUS of what we are doing. I've seen pro knitter that do it so mindlessly and they can talk and watch tv and everything. I'm looking for that day.
We newbies are all a like.
Be kind to yourself,
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
http://susieshobbyspot.blogspot.com/
susies1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Susie, I couldn't have said it better myself :D .
It will all be 2nd nature much faster than you think. Of course, both of you are doing projects much faster than I did! I spent a good 2 months just knitting and then purling and ripping out the sts; Not making anything at all, just practicing for about a month on my knitting; then about a month on my purling....LOL, this was after my wavy scarf I had picked up sts where they were not needed and dropped sts. I call it wavy bc the sts on each row changed throughout the entire scarf :D
dakirk, we all go thru it, but I promise you will get it and it won't be so frustrating!! baby steps I've been knitting close to a year and 1/2 and have MANY, MANY things to learn .... not bc I've not learned alot already, but bc there's so much that can be done with knitting and all of it is FUN, FUN, FUN

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
feministmama
Instepping Out

See nonw the Dali Lama would say something like "find happiness in the frog" or something like that.

that's why HE's the Dalai Lama and I'm not :rollseyes:
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Originally Posted by feministmama
that's why HE's the Dalai Lama and I'm not :rollseyes:
Yes....YOU'RE the FEMMY-MAMA!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Don't feel bad. I've been knitting for 30 years and I still get lost in patterns like that. I tried doing the "prayer shawl" once and that was a major joke. K3, P3 across, turn repeat forever. I'd be knitting 3 and the 3 turned into four and then I would "unknit" back to where I messed up and try to start again. It was turning into more of a cussing shawl than a prayer shawl. :D I do ok if I only have to do it for a few rows (like a cuff) but when working on a whole project, I either want redundancy (stockinette stitch works wonders for that) or something that I have to actually read line by line (like cables or fair isle).

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
Dynasty
Casting On

I'm new tooo:)
Yupper I hear ya lol. I'm actually doing my first project too, a scarf. I'm totally not using the right yarn or the right needles..OR the color they said to use I didn't realize until after I bought the yarn that there was Actually different kinds lol And I didn't have the right needles so I'm usin' a different kind.... might not work but so far so good. I guess we'll all learn new things as we go, but thank goodness for this site WhoooHoooo!!
Good Luck to you and trust me...you aren't alone I'll be askin' you for help before ya know it heeheeeee :XX:
Dyn
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #8
Dynasty
Casting On

By the wayyy
oopsy I meant to ask a question too lol... I'm knitting my first scarf and there's stripes at each end. I've done the first stripe and it says to "drop" the yarn, my question is, Do I cut the yarn off until I get the the other end? Or do I leave it there just hangin around until later?
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #9
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susies1955
Hi Rebecca,
I think it is great that you knitting and purled so long before you started a project. I think that you have 'less' frustration that way.
It is funny that I told "dakirk" I didn't have a problem with purling where I was suppose to be knitting and vice versa...........well guess what......? I did it today. I purled 9 stitches where it should have been knit. I noticed after I had finished the row and it was where I started the row so I knitted down through where the 9 purls where, I took the stitches OFF the needle and crochet hooked them back at a knit stitch and then kept going. I even had the right amount of stitches when I was done.
The videos from this site that I watched about ten times last week really came in handy.
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
http://susieshobbyspot.blogspot.com/
susies1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When they say drop it, it just means you don't knit with it anymore. You can cut it and weave the end in. If you don't need to use it until the other end of the scarf, there's no point in leaving it attached.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote