Old 10-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Funny Mistakes
Okay, I'm STILL working on my first wearable item other than a scarf or hat. I'm knitting a small cardigan for my 15 month old granddaughter. Coming along pretty good so far (with Ingrid's help of course). I knit the back, then knit the front side that the buttons will go on, then I'm on the side where the buttonholes are going. It took 3 days to perfect the first buttonhole but I did it! Knit some more and the 2nd buttonhole was finished. Easier! Got to the 3rd and took a nice look at my project, kind of pieced it together to the other pieces and guess what? My buttonholes are under the armpit. They are on the wrong side. I'm using a discontinued yarn, so couldn't waste it and had to frog it.

Sigh......anyone else make big mistakes while learning to knit?
Jackie M. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
bubba
1st Leg of the Journey

Having just learned to knit in January, I struggle with the reading of patterns, but am slowly getting better.

The sweater I am making for my great niece (which the yarn store lady (YSL) said would take only a week!!!) was going along quite nicely, however it was looking nothing like the picture.....after about 4", I ripped it out, thinking I had royally screwed up. Started over, got the same amount done, looked the same, but I could not figure out why. Had to wait till the lady who taught me knitting came to work as I am intimidated by asking the YSL questions. Anyway, Char takes one look at and says, well, you do realize you are knitting from the top down, don't you? Uh, no....I didn't know that! How would I know that??? The pattern doesn't say anything like that!!! Why wouldn't it say I'm knitting from the top down if that's what I'm doing!?!?!?!?

It's funny now, but I was not amused about it a few weeks back....especially when my husband said, well if you read the directions right, don't you think it was turning out the way it should? Too bad I like my knitting needles so well, or they may have found a new home that day! :D

pat.

Don't mess with dragons....they think you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by bubba
Too bad I like my knitting needles so well, or they may have found a new home that day! :D

pat.

Old 10-22-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Oh. Jackie! I'm sorry. I laughed. Just at the absurdity of it all. I've done so many stupid things, I wouldn't know where to begin. The sweater I made with the Celtic knot was a comedy of errors. Got 4 inches done, frogged because I reversed the side panel. Got up to the chest and couldn't get the stupid center pattern in the middle because I didn't count properly and just assumed I did the pattern right--not! Tried it on when I got it off the needles and it was sausage tight. Redid it on bigger needles and then, when I was cutting the steek at 2 a.m. or so, I CUT THE SWEATER. My daughter came running when I screamed because she thought I cut myself. I wouldn't have yelled as loud if it was just me. I managed to stitch it up, but geez!

I also remember making two right sides to a cardigan, knitting in the wrong direction when I picked my needles back up, I sometimes STILL knit with the tail on the first row, forgetting to increase on sleeves. I could go on and on. I think that the longer you knit, the more mistakes you chalk up to experience!

So see, you're surely not alone!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

What a relief to know I'm not alone, but not so relieving knowing there is so many more to come. Oh well, I'm sure the end result is worth it all. It will be a looooooooooooong time before I try those Celtic designs. (if ever)
Old 10-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
i ALWAYS find a way to mess up once i think i got it!!! never fails with EVERY cotton pickin project!

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
jelly
1st Leg of the Journey

how i learned to check gauge:

a few years ago i attempted a poncho as my first "non scarf" project. i didn't check the gauge, just "eyeballed" it.

this thing was GINORMOUS

not knowing any baby elephants who needed a purple poncho, i ended up throwing it away
Old 10-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Threw it away!!!?? Couldn't you have frogged it? Could have been used for something......maybe a tent for a child to play with? A cover for your car during snow season? A dog blanket? There are lots of uses!
Old 10-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
jelly
1st Leg of the Journey

it was cheap yarn *cough*redheart*cough*

i was so mad at myself, i never wanted to see that yarn again
Old 10-23-2005, 12:28 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Sometimes throwing something away is very satisfying--you get the last "word."

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote