Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #121
Ilove2knit
Ribbing the Cuff

I didn't read all the replies, so I'm not sure if someone has shared this tip yet. I usually knit in the round, so I have no advice about the long edges, but I have figured out a way to keep the bottom edge of st st from curling up. After casting on:k1,p1 your first row or round, then continue in st st. It's hardly noticeable, and it lays nice and flat.
In the planning stages: tank tops for my dds, and another lacy one for me, sandals for my baby dd, skirt with a lace border

I'm "momto3girls" on Ravelry.
Ilove2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #122
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've heard that one before too. Sometimes I'll put a purl row on the RS, that helps a bit too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #123
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I read all 122 posts and I still don't understand.

"Garter stitch" is alternating rows of knit and purl stitches, right? I mean, that is what you see when you look at it. "Stockinette" is all knit stitches when you look at it. Seed stitch is alternating by row and by stitch, I believe? If K1, P1 across the first row, then the next row will be P1, K1 when you look at it.

I'm working on a moss stitch square, that I probably should have left alone, but I decided to do a border of knit stitches all around -- the bottom edge and the sides are curling in different directions.

I'm going to finish it up and give it to my DD for a doll blanket -- the rolling edges won't matter to an 18 month old -- but I'm wondering for future projects what I should do on the edges.

Some of the posts I read seem to indicate that this should have been okay, but maybe I was misreading. I get confused sometimes when people talk about "knit each row" because I'm not sure if they mean always knit in both directions or if they mean all knit stitches on the right side. (I take it to mean all knit stitches on one side because I think of the end result, not of what I am doing.)

Can anyone clear this up for me? Is this an appropriate question for this thread?

Thanks!
sakura-panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #124
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
When you knit every row, you get garter stitch, and it doesn't curl.

Since the back of a knit is a purl and vice/versa, when you look at garter, it looks like a knit row and a purl row.

Stockinette is knit one row, purl one row, so all the knits (V) stitches are on one side and all the purl bumps are on one side. This will curl.

Seed stitch is

kpkpkpkpkp
pkpkpkpkpk
kpkpkpkpkp as you look at it. For an even number of stitches, you k,p every row.

Seed stitch doesn't curl, either. So doing an edging where you knit every row or seed stitch every row will prevent curling, regardless of what's between the edgings.

Enough?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (02-19-2008)
Old 02-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #125
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

So when they (or you ) say to have three to five knit stitches at the start and end of every row, they do not mean knit stitches on the right side, they literally mean knit every row so that the rows alternate stitches?

That must be where I got mixed up.

I think I've got it now. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #126
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
Seed stitch doesn't curl, either. So doing an edging where you knit every row or seed stitch every row will prevent curling, regardless of what's between the edgings.

Enough?
After mulling over your explanation for a few minutes, I think I've got it now. I haven't done anything with a complicated pattern yet, so I'm not used to thinking that way -- I think of what I'm going to end up with.

Of course, a pattern is going to tell you row by row what to do -- which is why a garter stitch is defined as "knit every row" even though to me it seems that it is "alternating knit and purl every row." It wouldn't make sense any other way.

This is also why everyone always says "Trust the pattern" -- because it isn't easy to picture the end result when you're getting the rules for both sides at the same time.

Thanks for being so patient with me until it clicked.

Have I mentioned today what a great site KH is?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #127
suzeeq
Knit On!

Alternating knit and purl every row cause that's what you see on the RS of a piece is what you do when you make garter st in the round. You have to because you don't work on the WS, only on the RS. Not to confuse you or anything....

But yeah, for garter edging, you knit across all stitches on one row (if you're doing it in stockinette) then knit the first 3 or 5 on the WS row, purl across to the last 3 or 5 and knit them.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (02-20-2008)
Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #128
llamalover
Ribbing the Cuff

Just starting a sweater in stockinette
I just started a sweater with stockinette throughout. The main part is knit from the bottom up in one piece so there is no seaming. I'm worried that it will curl at the bottom. If I knit 1 and purl 1 after the cast on as the previous poster suggests,and then continue in stockinette, will it look ok? The photo of the sweater doesn't show any curling.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #129
suzeeq
Knit On!

The one in the picture may have been blocked, which can help, but yes, if you do a 1x1 rib row it shouldn't show and will help.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Tauri (02-28-2008)
Old 02-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #130
Tauri
Casting On

I just ripped my scarf out and want to know how you would do the following pattern. In the picture it does not look like it curls at all but when I was doing it, it was curling bad. This is a very attractive scarf and I could email a picture if you would like to see .
CO 100 sts.
Work in St st for 20 rows (about 21/2)
On the next row, k2tog, rep across 50 sts.
P the next row.
On the next row, k2tog, rep across 25 sts.
K the next row.
Work in short rows for point, as follows:
R 1: K1, turn
R 2: P1, turn
R 3: K2, turn
R4: P2, turn
R5: K3, turn
R6: P3, turn
R7: K4, turn
R8: P4, turn
R9: K5, turn
R10: P5, turn
Cont. k 1 more st in each row and then p back to the end on the following row until you are working across all 25 sts.
Work in St st until 44 from the end of the ruffle or desired length, less the other ruffle.
Work short rows for point, as follows:
R1: K24, turn
R2: P24, turn
R3: K23, turn
R4: P23, turn
R5: K22, turn
R6: P22, turn
R7: K21, turn
R8: P21, turn
R9: K20, turn
R10: P20, turn
Cont. k 1 less st in each row and then p the same number of sts.
as the previous row until you k1 st and p1 st
Inc. for ruffle, as follows:
* On the next row, k into the front and back of each st across 50 sts.
* P the next row
* On the next row, k into the front and back of each st across 100 sts.
Work even in St st until ruffle is the same length as the beginning ruffle.
BO and weave in ends.
Block
Tauri is offline   Reply With Quote