Old 12-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #31
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i have heard rumor that crocheting can help but Amy is right, the stockinette urge to curl is pretty strong so i don't know that just a little around the edges will help.

what kind of yarn did you use? wool, acrylic, etc?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #32
susieface
Casting On

curling stockingette stitch on scarf
I cannot recall if it was acrylic or wool, and I have already discarded the labels. Does it matter?
susieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #33
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well if it is acrylic it is probably pretty much as it is going to be. if it is wool you could possibly get it to flatten by blocking it. get it slightly wet (not in hot water!) and lay it out flat and pin it until it dries.

either way you can give it a try and see how it goes....if it is acrylic it won't harm it anyway and then you will know. if it is wool it might help.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #34
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

This is SO frustrating!!

I am ALMOST completely finished with Sitcom Chic, I'm just doing the last of the 'finishing' items....ie. picking up stitches along front edges of the cardigan which are curling BADLY....really really badly. :(

All the pattern says is to pick up stitches, knit one row, purl one row, cast off. I can tell just by looking at it that it isn't enough. So I picked up stitches, did 3 rows of seed stitch, then cast off. It was alright but I had picked up too many and it was bunchy. So I ripped that out, picked up about 1/4 less stitches which seems spaced a lot better but I can tell that there is still going to be a strong tendency to curl.

The pattern also says this: "If your SitCom still rolls, use Grosgrain Ribbon in a matching color stitched right to the edge. Very Couture!"

Does anyone know what this is exactly? And does she mean that you stitch it to the inside of the edge or the outside of the edge? :thinking:

I think I'm going to have to look into this because the border is not enough and I'm not willing to do more than a 3 row border because it's not called for in the pattern and it will take away from the look that the cardigan is supposed to have. OR just change the intended look completely and do a button band all the way down.

Hmmmmm........what do you think??? At least I have some options.

Oh, one other question....I've done fold-under hems before on things like the band of a hat or the bottom of sleeves where you purl a row in between, fold at that spot and stitch under in place. So I know that works on a bottom edge, but would something similar work on a side edge?
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #35
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
The folded down hem would help the curling, but I think it would be bulky for this. Have you tried a little blocking? I know it's acrylic, but you may be able to tame it by putting a wet towel on it and letting it dry there while the sweater is flat--may have to pin it.

The grossgrain ribbon--I've had sweaters where there is ribbon on the inside of the edges where the buttons go. Maybe they mean to just sew ribbon to the inside edges.

This stinks after all your hard work. :(

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #36
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I tried the grosgrain ribbon inside the front edges of the cardigan. I do not like it :( . Of course it is not a stretchy material at all so it really takes away from the knitted feel of the front of the sweater, not to mention the color I bought looks like I put a big strip of masking tape inside the sweater . I only did it on one side and I ripped it out. It really did help but I did not like the look or feel of it.

Back to the drawing board.....

My next thought is this....what if I knitted a strip of stockinette about as wide as the grosgrain ribbon that I tried, and seam it to the inside of the edges, with the wrong sides of the stockinette facing each other. Do you think the stockinette facing opposite directions would even each other out???? I don't mind the extra bulk that it would produce along those edges, I'd rather have that anyways over a flimsy edge.

Thoughts???? I'm not givin' up yet!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #37
Ingrid
Mod Squad

How about this--basically the same idea as your's without as much sewing. Pick up and knit along the edge, Purl a turn row on the right side for a turning row, or even a picot edge might look nice. Then knit a hem to sew to the inside. Sew the live stitches to the back, just skimming the inside of the sweater to avoid a strong line. I think that will stop the curling. It does on sweater bottoms. If you're going to add something, might as well be knitted on.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #38
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I like your idea! I'm going to have to take out the trim that I already did but that will be easy frogging! :D I'll let you know how it turns out. The only problem is that there is that eyelet row across the chest that goes all the way up to the edge and I wouldn't want to cover that up with a hem I think it would look weird. I'll figure something out! :D
Old 01-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #39
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Crossing fingers for you!!

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #40
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Now, how exactly would I sew down the live stitches?? Just take one at a time off the knitting needle and onto a tapestry needle and sew onto the cardigan??