Old 11-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #11
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
That's an *excellent* way to use your markers! Thanks for sharing.
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
MelodramaBabs
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to MelodramaBabs Send a message via MSN to MelodramaBabs Send a message via Yahoo to MelodramaBabs
I'm only a week old! and I was really annoyed at the mysterious increase! but I found my problem. (bring your working yarn up and over the needle....do you see how that causes the "legs" of the last stitch on the needle to look like TWO stitches)

I am now knitting "squarely". If only I could figure out how to make my edges neater. Time to go hunt the boards!

Thanks so much for the great resources/help!
I'll be around!

Babs
MelodramaBabs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelodramaBabs For This Useful Post:
HSRCampbell (12-19-2010), JulieW (11-29-2009)
Old 12-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #13
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Well said, y'all.

Babs, try slipping the first stitch of the row, or knitting it extra tight, for neat edges. I demo this in the Demo of a Small Project video at the top of the basic techniques/more page, along with a few other little tips.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #14
leila1015
Ribbing the Cuff

I have to say I'm so excited because I finally figured this out! I must have read this post 20 times and I just got this down.
leila1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
katerbug
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to katerbug
yay!
i'm extremely new to knitting (even thought i've tried it many times over the years) and i could never figure out how i kept adding stitches! right now i'm making my first project, a dishcloth with the letter C on it for the person who got me back into trying to knit. (my friend chantal). it starts with 35 stitches and now it's up to 36 by row 21. a few rows back i had 37 or 38 stitches and now they're gone. how the heck did i do that?

also, what's a good remedy for sore fingers? my fingers are killing me.

last thing...i find it very hard to knit after a row with purling. is there an easier way to get the kneedles in? i'm using size 8's.

thanks!
kelly

katerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #16
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i think i can answer the after purling question. maybe.

i found out recently that i was wrapping my yarn around the needle the wrong way when i purled. i knew i was doing it different but my work didn't look any different when i was done so i decided it didn't matter. one day i saw someone say that it was creating a twisted stitch and that was why it was so hard to get the needle in. i have consciously switched the way i purl and it is way easier to get that needle in! it takes me longer because i am relearning how to purl but knitting after a purl row is much more pleasant!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #17
katerbug
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to katerbug
Originally Posted by brendajos
well i think i can answer the after purling question. maybe.

i found out recently that i was wrapping my yarn around the needle the wrong way when i purled. i knew i was doing it different but my work didn't look any different when i was done so i decided it didn't matter. one day i saw someone say that it was creating a twisted stitch and that was why it was so hard to get the needle in. i have consciously switched the way i purl and it is way easier to get that needle in! it takes me longer because i am relearning how to purl but knitting after a purl row is much more pleasant!

thanks! that's probably why my fingers are so sore! i'll have to go back and watch the video again for how to purl. if i switch during the project i'm making will that mess it up?

thanks again!
katerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
Lol Stein
Casting On

Thank you for posting this, it has helped me soooo much
Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #19
LadyInRed
Casting On

If you are having problems pearling after a row of knitting chances are you are knitting too tight. You should have just enough tension in your stiches so that they don't fall off the needles. Also if you tug gently on your work after each row or so it kind of orients the stiches the right way. I hope this helps :D
Old 03-16-2006, 03:37 AM   #20
cozyhomelife
Casting On

Originally Posted by amy
Well said, y'all.

Babs, try slipping the first stitch of the row, or knitting it extra tight, for neat edges. I demo this in the Demo of a Small Project video at the top of the basic techniques/more page, along with a few other little tips.
Amy, thanks for activating my account, I'm guessing my 2nd email didn't make it to you either, that's why I'm mentioning it now. Must be Prodigy email doesn't mix with whatever is used here.

MY QUESTION: I've heard about slipping the first stitch in every row to make a even border other places, and I see you mentioning it here. The thing that always puzzled me is if the first (and last) stitch of every roll is not worked, they will not grow and remain on the first row height while all the other stitches grow into long rolls. What am I thinking wrong here?
cozyhomelife is offline   Reply With Quote