Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #21
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Only the first stitch is slipped. The last stitch is knit, so each edge is being worked every other row.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #22
cozyhomelife
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Only the first stitch is slipped. The last stitch is knit, so each edge is being worked every other row.
-So if you knit 100 rolls, wouldn't the edge only be 50 rolls/half the height as the rest, or do you elongate the stitch?
cozyhomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
mulene
Working the Gusset

Oh thank goodness I found this site and found this thread! I've recently picked knitting up again - it's mothers day here in the UK on March 26th and I wanted to knit a scarf for my mother. I bought a kit with a gorgeous eyelash yarn - it's a knit one row, knit 2 stitches purl the rest then knit the last two.

Well I started the project and it was coming out to look like a wonderful fur scarf. Then the horror struck me - I had suddenly increased stitches and knitting the row after purling was a nightmare!

I've found this site now, started the drop stitch scarf, and I'll be revisiting the project scarf for my mother today when I get home. I realise now I was doing the purl stitches wrong and adding an extra loop - hence the additional stitches!

Can't wait to get home and carry on. This site is wonderful I'm so glad I found it!
mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #24
mia
Casting On

different "extra stitch"
OK, this might be different than the other extra stitch comment, but I am so new I don't know! (Hi everyone, thanks for the site!) After casting on, I knit my first row. When I get to that last loop on my "casting-on" needle (uh, I also don't know terms too well yet) to knit it, it has become a huge loop and if I just knit on, it makes a very lose stitch that I can't pull tight on my knit row. Does this happen to anyone? Maybe I will try to include an image later (when I get out of work and back to knitting!)
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
mia
Casting On

figured it out!
I posted about the big loop at the end of my row. I figured it out! for anyone else who may be brand new and also having this problem: I was pulling my stitches way too tight. So now what I do is knit 2-3, and then kind of pull on my knitting that I just did (as suggested above to straighten out the yarn) and it works! SO thanks for the suggestion, and now I finally got past a row! Yay, project!
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:38 AM   #26
cozyhomelife
Casting On

Originally Posted by brendajos
well i think i can answer the after purling question. maybe.

i found out recently that i was wrapping my yarn around the needle the wrong way when i purled. i knew i was doing it different but my work didn't look any different when i was done so i decided it didn't matter. one day i saw someone say that it was creating a twisted stitch and that was why it was so hard to get the needle in. i have consciously switched the way i purl and it is way easier to get that needle in! it takes me longer because i am relearning how to purl but knitting after a purl row is much more pleasant!
-I did the exact same thing when I was young and someone pointed it out to me, finally. You can see it in your work if you know what to look for. When looking at the stockinette stitch (right side of sweater) the little loops that are going up on top of each other should not make a cross over at the bottom where they sit on top of the stitch below them. They are more like an upside down letter 'u' with a tight neck.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #27
atfan22
Casting On

I've only been knitting for a couple weeks now and I noticed that I had this problem with accidentally adding on extra stitches. This post has been so helpful! I was wondering if there was any way to correct my extra stiches without unraveling all of my rows because I have no idea where it might have happened. Is there anyway I could combine a couple stiches to even it out or am I stuck with my extra stiches? Please help!
atfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #28
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well if it isn't a lot, you can always knit two stitches together. you can see the video clip of how to do that here ...it is the first video at the top left. Do it as gradually as you can...meaning if you have, for example, four extra stitches, don't do all the K2tog stitches at the same time or they will be obvious....how many extra stitches do you have?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #29
cozyhomelife
Casting On

Re: yay!
Originally Posted by katerbug
also, what's a good remedy for sore fingers? my fingers are killing me.

last thing...i find it very hard to knit after a row with purling. is there an easier way to get the kneedles in? i'm using size 8's.

thanks!
kelly
---You may be knitting too tight and causing your fingers too much pulling stress. When you purl, be sure that you are bringing the yarn thru the 2 needles from the top toward the bottom, not up from the bottom toward the top. If you are bringing it from the bottom up, it will cause the stitch to be twisted on the needle and harder to knit the next row. Or because your fingers are so sore, it could just be they are way too tight. Check both for tightness and wrong yarn direction when purling.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #30
sunnybunz056
Casting On

is there any way to fix the extra stitches later n in the work?
sunnybunz056 is offline   Reply With Quote