Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #51
BadKitten13
Casting On

I used this site to learn how to knit a few days ago. I'm so glad I read these forums! I had the added stitch problem too, but it was only on one end for some reason.
BadKitten13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:46 AM   #52
Sunny_Singer
Knitting the Flap

splitting thread
My biggest mistake to creating new stitches is accidentally splitting a thread while working it. I have caught myself splitting threads as I enter a stitch, and when I bring the yarn around to create the next stitch in the row.
Now I watch and if I notice I am splitting a thread I start the stitch over so I get the whole thread.
Sunny_Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #53
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by BadKitten13 View Post
I used this site to learn how to knit a few days ago. I'm so glad I read these forums! I had the added stitch problem too, but it was only on one end for some reason.
Sometimes when you turn your work, the first stitch is a bit twisted on the needle, looking like 2 instead of 1 and getting knit that way.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #54
bethlee
Casting On

Please help me!!! I have read everyone's replies several times, but I still don't understand why I keep getting extra stitches. I can see the two threads at the end, but I don't know which thread to go into to keep from getting the extra stitch. I tried going in the bottom of the two leg pieces, but it is very awkward and doesn't seem right at all. My problem is that I have two small samples that are square, but now I can't figure how to not get the extras.
Does this make any sense to anyone? I wish there was a way to see where you put your right needle after you put your completed work into your left hand.
bethlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #55
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Try holding on to the strand hanging from your needle. Pull on it a little bit and watch what loop tightens up on the needle. That's what you should knit through. I hope this helps. If not, there are more ways.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #56
bethlee
Casting On

Is it possible that I am wrapping my thread around my needle the wrong way? Because my two legs of the last stitch always end up on top of my needle if my work is turned to the right of the left needle.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #57
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you finish a row and turn to begin the next one, pull your yarn off to the side. What happens sometimes is that it goes over the top of the needle which pulls up the loop of the last stitch and makes it look like 2 stitches. When you insert your right needle into the stitch, it should go into the front `leg' of that stitch. Maybe the pictures on this page - http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/cgi...yarn&faqKey=84 - will help you

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
bethlee (09-12-2007), pathfinder (05-19-2008)
Old 09-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #58
bethlee
Casting On

When I move the thread over the top of the needle, the last stitch I made is very loose. Why is this? I have to run an errand, but I'm going to figure this out if I have to work on it all night!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #59
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by bethlee View Post
When I move the thread over the top of the needle, the last stitch I made is very loose. Why is this? I have to run an errand, but I'm going to figure this out if I have to work on it all night!!!
That first stitch is always loose. That's one of the most frequently asked question around here.

IngridKH on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
bethlee (09-12-2007)
Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #60
bethlee
Casting On

Hi, guys.
I had to go to the girl who taught me how to knit in order to finally "see" what you all were trying to say. Even the website you pointed me to wasn't really what I needed to see or hear. I think if you will direct new knitters to the fact that your work will actually look like it is to the left of the left needle until you insert your right needle and wrap your thread. Then, your work will be on the right. It seemed like no matter how hard I tried to go in the single thread as opposed to the legs of the stitch, I always felt like my work was in the way if I tried to keep my work on the right of the needle. Not sure if ANY of this is making sense, but there it is. I'm almost done with my first dishtowel and very excited that I know what I'm doing. Thanks for all of your replies.