Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #61
libbyb
Casting On

Hi, I think sometimes the reason for extra stitches is that you may be purling with your yarn in the back I know that has happend to me before. Don't give up, you will get there. Libby
libbyb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #62
mom23kids
Casting On

Thanks for this post...it has been driving me crazy to try and figure out what I was doing wrong. Now I am going to bring my piece with me in front of the laptop and finish a row and begin a new one to see which of these problems I am doing! I noticed in one of the video examples where the knitter said she doesn't like to "work" the first stitch on the new row, so I have tried that and seem to be keeping the added stitches to a minimum.
Thanks again for the expert advice!
Merry Christmas
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:44 AM   #63
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The thing about the first st is that if the loose yarn goes up over the top of the needle, it can pull up the stitch and make it look like two. If you hold the yarn out to the side a bit, you can see that it's only one stitch.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #64
Tia
Ribbing the Cuff

I see I'm not alone in this problem. I'm not sure yet what I'm doing or if I understand your explanations, but I'll definitely go slower and pay closer attention now and maybe I can figure it out.

Thanks,

Things I have crocheted for charity.
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #65
zigwash
Casting On

new knitter!
i am am 12 yrs. old and a begginer.. i am knitting what is soppose to be a scarf.. lol and i am gainging SO MANY STICHES!!! i started with 10 and now have around 30 .. lol:P it looks like a half circle..aha so i am going to try to do the yarn thingy and mabey thats my problem mabey i have the yarn in front..? i hoope. if not im hopeless
zigwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #66
happyknitting
Casting On

When I first started knitting, the more rows I knitted the more stitches I had. I found out that I was picking the stitch from behind the little knot(the little knot that I say is like a loop that forms the stitch) that holds the stitch on the needle. As you knit onto the right needle is not going to feel right and if you look at it, it'll look as a split stitch coming from one little knot (it looks like a V from the knot). Even now that I've been knitting for a while, if I'm not paying attention and not looking I can make the same mistake. But, something doesn't feel right as I place the new stitch on the right needle, so I look at it and can see that the stitch is divided like a V from the same knot. If this happens, just pick up the original stitch and put it back on the left needle and re-knit it being careful to put your needle through the front of the stitch and not behind this little knot. If you miss your double stitches in a row start decreasing the very next row by knitting 2 together. ...at least until you get more proficient at it.
happyknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #67
ShowDucky81
Casting On

I was wondering where these stitches came from! Now I actually pay attention and try not to get too relaxed.

ShowDucky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #68
Nanjo
Casting On

extra stitches...help
Thank you Brenda!
I am a VERY new knitter and I think that your advice has helped me figure out what I have done wrong...I HOPE! Many thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #69
karenborter
Casting On

i have been knitting again for about 1 month and have started the elongated scarf project that is featured on this site. i started out with 28 st but ended up with 35 ... i doubled up the stitches and am back down to 29. i think in my case it was "mistaken identity" or splitting a stitch on accident.

So the scarf will be funky ... it's my first project and this thread has helped me CONSIDERABLY to recognize more then 1 thing i was doing a bit hap-hazard
karenborter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #70
eburnside
Casting On

I am a new knitter making a ribbed scarf. The post before said to double-up stitches? Is this the way I can get rid of my extras? If I have to start this scarf over again, I may cry!
eburnside is offline   Reply With Quote