Old 10-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
Angelia

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried circulars. I still try to prop. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how awkward that is, what with the cable and the shorter needles...talk about hunching and cramping...

:(

In fact, I've temporarily abandoned using the circular needles because my knitting looks absolutely hideous on them (because I cannot prop).

I think I'll just break out my practice skein of el cheapo yarn and work on holding the left needle up--let the hideousness come! I managed to learn to hold the yarn Amy's way when I knit and purl (and wow, what a difference that has made!), so surely I can conquer the needle propping. I'll let you know how it turns out!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-30-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It's ok to prop if that's what works for you. There are techniques that have you hold the right needle under your arm, even.

The old-time Fair Isle knitters--and maybe even the new time ones, too--jab their left'hand working needle in a bag of hay or wool--essentially propping. All the movement and work is done with the right needle over the top of the left.

There are no rules here--do what works for you.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:27 AM   #13
Angelia

Well, I'm not looking necessarily for "a" right way; I want one that doesn't cause this horrible left shoulder pain, pain which tells me that something isn't right.

My thinking is that the propping and knitting at the awkward angle are the causes. Were it not for the pain, I wouldn't even worry about the propping
Old 10-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #14
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
The pain is probably a good indicator that you should change. :rollseyes: I forgot about that aspect.

So break out the cheapo yarn and let the hideousness begin! :rofling:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #15
Angelia

Quote:
So break out the cheapo yarn and let the hideousness begin!

How I'll spend the next few days:

Ha!