Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Clabbergirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Sneaking in moments to knit
I'm bummed. Due to having an impossible amount of homework, I may not see my knitting needles for a couple of weeks, but definately not for the next 4 days. :( I drive to and from work myself (no public transport opportunities to knit), don't have any dr. appts lined up, and shouldn't even by typing this because of the workload).

I pose the question to those who've been knitting longer than I (which is pretty much everyone here):

How do you fit knitting into your daily routines?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Re: Sneaking in moments to knit
Originally Posted by Clabbergirl
:rollseyes: welllllllllll...i think it is pretty well documented at this point, i knit in traffic. not in moving traffic mind you, but at stop lights and such. i knit in the drive through and in grocery store lines. i knit when i decide to take a break at work (which is actually not terribly often, mostly because i do this while working!) I go to movies a lot on the weekends and knit there.

so basically, i knit whenever i find a moment that my hands aren't doing something else, and when i am not sleeping!

all that being said, i leave my house around 8am and get home around 10pm each day so i have no choice but to steal moments.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
brenda~ you have my Dh hours!!! i don't see how you all do it.

i knit at night and on the weekend. but i have time to knit during the day just choose not too because the kids are around and i'm on here or doing something else...

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Since I began knitting last year because I am disabled and was trying to find something to both occupy my time and help keep my mind off of my pain...I knit all of the time!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Angelia

Re: Sneaking in moments to knit

I just take something small and uncomplicated with me everywhere and get in a row or two. I have a practice skein for learning new bits--working on cables at the moment--I get practice in, and I don't feel frustrated if I mess up.

Another way to work it in when busy is to think of it as a treat. Like right now, I am grading essays, and this morning I've been grading a couple (for 30 or so minutes), then "treating" myself to a few rows of knitting. That way I don't think about how I wish I were knitting...I use it as a reward for getting my work done :D

So, after you read a chapter, or do some math problems, whatever it is you're doing for homework, give yourself a treat for being a good student: knit! It even helps get the brain going, all that creativity!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Clabbergirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I like the suggestion of using it as a treat, but I tend to knit and knit and knit...and keep going. "Just one more row and I'll quit."

Ahh!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
feministmama
Instepping Out

I like the suggestion of using it as a treat, but I tend to knit and knit and knit...and keep going. "Just one more row and I'll quit."

Ahh!
:D Me too. But it also helps to break up the crazyness going onin my brain. If I'm writing a paper I CAN"T go for more than 2 hours without taking a break. Some people go out and smooke. I knit. Sometimes I'll do stuff like put a song on the computer. I'll let it only play that one song and I can knit to it. When the song is over....BACK TO WORK!!
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
sogrammatical
Knitting the Flap

Ahh!
I tend to use something else to time myself; otherwise, I'd just keep on knitting all night. I'll put on a cd or a short playlist on itunes and then when the music runs out, I stop knitting/whatever other goofing off I'm doing. I also knit at org meetings (but not in class - I think it's rude) and if I get back from lunch early. There's one tv show I watch so I consider that an hour each week of guilt-free knitting.

I wish I could figure out how read and knit at the same time. I have so much reading this semester!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
earthchick
Turning the Heel

I get up extra early (before dh and my boys get up) to have some "me" time. I use that time for prayer and meditation, for knitting, and for working out. Sometimes I miss my workout b/c I'm too caught up in my knitting. I'm the same as you Clabbergirl - I just start knitting and knitting and knitting and can't stop (always with that same phrase "Just one more row."). Sometimes I will set a timer, but that only works if I make myself quit when the timer goes off. :rollseyes:

I am soooo looking forward to traveling at Thanksgiving so I will some extra knitting time. I am actually looking forward to the 13 hour drive!!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #10
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

LOL, I pretty sure that we all do the "knitting, knitting and maybe just a bit more knitting, just one more row...."....we are addicted to the knit

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote