Old 11-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
Selp striping question...
I think this yarn look so neat, but it's usually on socks which it'll be awhile before I can do. Does it work on hats? On scarves? How far apart are the color stripes? I mean if you knit something large it's not going to stripe properly right? :thinking: Oh and also... is all self striping wool or a wool blend?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I just found a self-striping baby hat pattern that I am planning on making for two friends' babies...Jody has made all kinds of scarves with self-patterning yarn. Knitpicks has a GREAT pattern for a baby cardigan.

Knitpicks has several wool self-stripers ("Simple Stripes"), one superwash and others merino (handwash). They also have a Cotton blend ("Dancing"), but I dont think it STRIPES as much as forms color blobs.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I've used self-striping on hats and scarves. The yarn that I used was a wool blend. Depending upon the yarn & how it's dyed will give you more of a hint as to the spacing between the stripes, I would think. I found a picture of this hat that I made last year using Lionbrand Magic Stripes. I'm afraid that I don't have a picture of the scarf that I did...look around you can often find pictures of the yarn knitted up as different items on the manufacturer's website.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

If the self-striping yarn, when used for socks, makes fairly wide stripes, if you use the same yarn on a hat the stripes would just be narrower. This is because the cast on # of stitches for a hat is quite a bit more than the cast on for a pair of socks. Even if you used it for an even larger item than a hat, it would still come out great. It would be a unique item which is always a good thing!

I love self-striping yarn because then of course you don't have to switch yarns to get the same effect.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susies1955
It is funny how this subject would come up. I just got back from class and I saw that self stripping yarn and asked about it. I told her to plan on setting me up next class to make the socks.
Jan, how about we try this together. I'm only a month old and I'm going to give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen?
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
http://susieshobbyspot.blogspot.com/
susies1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Socks are a breeze, girls!! Ya'll will LOVE it!!!! Sock knitting is soooo much fun and you can do most ANYTHING with socks....OMGoodness, I have so many sock patterns running thru my head, but...alas, they must wait for the Sock Sabbatical which occurs after I finish my current project list
Actually the yarn that I used on the hat that I posted has the same stripe thickness with both socks and the hat; it's the way that it's dyed, different color every so many inches over x amt of yards & it's somehow has the ability to achieve the same continuity of thickness of stripe no matter the size of the project....just referencing this Lionbrand Magic Stripe bc it's the only one that I've done a hat and socks in...stripes were the same

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanks for all the replies! The thing I was thinking was that since the stripe appears to go ALL the way around a sock it wouldn't be able to all the way around a hat and it might look odd? Dunno, have to give it a try I guess.

That are cute hats, Rebecca and KellyK!

Quote:
Jan, how about we try this together. I'm only a month old and I'm going to give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen? Smiling
Susie
Give socks a try together?! I've only been doing this for a little over a month, too. Not sure I'm ready for socks... these guys say they are easy, but... If someone has an EASY pattern and can handle a bazillion questions I may give it a try.. I was actually thinking what a pretty scarf the magic stripes would be!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susies1955
Hey Jan,
When did you actually start. My start date is the 1st of October. We may be twins.
You can do it. Like I said I'm doing a sweater already. I did a hat on circulars, another hat on double pointed needles and now I AM going to do socks. Well, she will get me started when I got back in two weeks so you've got two weeks to get ready.
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
http://susieshobbyspot.blogspot.com/
susies1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Thanks for all the replies! The thing I was thinking was that since the stripe appears to go ALL the way around a sock it wouldn't be able to all the way around a hat and it might look odd? Dunno, have to give it a try I guess.
The cool thing about self-striping yarn is that it gives a different effect no matter what you're using it for, depending on the # of stitches cast on. The stripes might not make it all the way around a larger project, but the pattern of the stripes will likely be consistent (for example, the stuff I'm using right now has a pattern of green strip, black/white jacquard stripe, blue stripe, black/white stripe, turquoise stripe, black/white stripe, etc.) so it will look good no matter what.

Just give it a try and I'm sure you'll love it!
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by susies1955
Hey Jan,
When did you actually start. My start date is the 1st of October. We may be twins.
You can do it. Like I said I'm doing a sweater already. I did a hat on circulars, another hat on double pointed needles and now I AM going to do socks. Well, she will get me started when I got back in two weeks so you've got two weeks to get ready.
Susie
Holy cow! I am taking a class, but it's apparently NOTHING like yours! I learned to knit, purl, cast on and bind off and that's about it. She's has shown us lots of things she's made, but nothing for the group to make other than some crocheted stuff for that part of the class. I"m thinking of taking the knitting class at the community college next semester. Since it's at the college I figure it'll be more structured. I started on September 16th so you are WAY ahead of me. All I've done are scarves and dishcloths.

Okay, I have to get some stripey yarn and do something with it anyway!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~