Old 11-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
JLC
Instepping Out

OT - Anyone else have issues with Dish Network DVR?
I switched from Directv to Dish Network a couple months ago because I wanted the DVR with Tivo. Before the end of the first week, we had the hard drive fail in the receiver, so we lost all the programming we had recorded. They sent us a new receiver and all was fine, until this past Sunday. I went to pull up a show that we had recorded for the kids and all of the recorded shows were gone. It still said that we had 37 hours left, but all the shows were gone. I tried troubleshooting, then called Dish Network. We did unplug the receiver last week (on Friday) for a couple hours, and evidently the tech said that sometimes power interruptions will make the hard drive fail, and since we unplugged it, they may void the warranty. WHAT?? What about when you lose power? This is crazy. If I hadn't signed the stupid 12 month agreement, I would cancel Dish Network right now and go back to Directv. This is twice now that we have lost all the programming we've recorded. Has this happened to anyone else??? :(
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

Sorry....we've had our Dish Network DVR for 5 years now and we've never had any problems or lost even one program. It's been fantastic! I hope you get this resolved!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Yeah....I haven't had any problems, either....especially since DH figured out how to watch one thing whilst recording another! Love it!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
rsisland
Casting On

I have DirecTV with TIVO and have no problems. My parents have DISH with DVR for two years now with no problems. Our power goes out constantly here in Florida. I can't see how that would void a warranty. What if you decide to change around your room or need to unplug to paint/clean or whatever??

Robin
rsisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
JLC
Instepping Out

That's why we unplugged the unit - we are installing laminate hardwood flooring! We'll see what they say once we get the unit back to Dish Network. I had about 6 Knitty Gritty episodes on there that I hadn't had a chance to watch yet....GRRRR!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by JLC
That's why we unplugged the unit - we are installing laminate hardwood flooring! We'll see what they say once we get the unit back to Dish Network. I had about 6 Knitty Gritty episodes on there that I hadn't had a chance to watch yet....GRRRR!
OH I think you have grounds to sue just for THAT
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 AM   #7
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
Something similar has happened to my dad. He must have had a dozen shows recorded/saved, and then all of a sudden they were all gone yesterday. He called Dish Network and the tech lady gave him some lame explanations: 1) If the DVR detects an error then it erases all programming and 2) if you unplug the unit the same thing will happen. My dad's response? "I've been working with computers for the last two decades, and that's the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard."

Well, the DVR unit had been unplugged 4 or 5 times previously because it makes a loud hum, and it was keeping my dad up at night (he has the unit in his bedroom). Oddly enough it had been plugged in a full week when the programs were erased. He demanded that his DVR unit be replaced or else he'd send back every last bit of his Dish Network equipment, so I guess they will be sending the replacement.

~Debi~
Phretys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
JLC
Instepping Out

It gets better....
I got the replacement receiver yesterday. I hooked it up, called Dish Network, waited 10 minutes for a tech, went through the whole process of activating the programming, hung up the phone, and the receiver resets itself, just like if you had hit the power button and reset it, the lights go off, then come back on the receiver, it searches for signal, loads in and the programming comes back on. So okay, I check all the connections and make sure everything is plugged in tight (it is), and it does it again, and again, and...you get the picture. So I call Dish Network, wait 15 minutes for a tech and he asks if it is plugged into a surge protector. I say "yes" and they say "well these receivers are kind of finicky with some surge protectors - try plugging it directly into the wall and call back if you have problems". Ok, so I rearrange the cords and plug the receiver directly into the wall, and surprise it resets itself again. Now I'm really getting irritated, the kids are in bed, so some very colorful words are coming out of my mouth. My husband decided to try, so he calls, waits about 5 minutes, gets a tech who says it must be the vcr. What? The VCR was fine with the original receiver. But we humor him and switch it around, go through all the "point dish" and "check switch" stuff and the guy says to "call back if you have any more problems - thanks for calling Dish Network" and hangs up. As soon as my husband set the phone down, the receiver resets itself again. At this point I am missing Survivor - which I have never missed one episode in ANY season, and I'm really pissed. I call Dish Network, wait for a tech, interrupt his whole speech about how it could be this, or could be that, and I tell him I want a new receiver. He says ok, goes through the whole process of giving me the Return Authorization number and saying if they don't get the defective receiver back within 10 days of my receiving the replacement, then I will be charged, blah, blah, blah. Then he says that the replacement won't ship until Monday and I should receive it next Friday. So I ask if we can reactivate the original receiver that was having DVR issues, so we won't have to go without programming for 8 days. He tells me that is "impossible", that it has been disabled and there is no way to reactivate it and I am required to send it back as soon as possible or I will be charged. At this point my husband grabs the phone and tries to figure out why they can't just make a notation that we are sending the defective replacement back first so we can keep programming. After arguing for about 5 minutes, my husband asks to speak to a Supervisor, and the tech argues some more, then agrees to transfer him to a supervisor. He gets put on hold for 15 minutes, then they hang up on him. You could pretty much see the flames coming out of my husband's eyes. He called back, waited for a tech, demanded a Supervisor, explained the situation (for the 15th time), and finally got a Supervisor, who finally agreed to re-activate the original receiver, make a notation that the defective replacement would be coming back first, then we would send the original next week when we receive the next replacement. Oh, and they graciously gave us a month of free programming. At this point, if the next replacement is defective, I'm done with Dish Network.

Thanks for letting me rant, you guys are the best. Thanks Debi - maybe your dad and I should join forces and kick some Dish Network butt!! They made me miss Survivor, damn it.