Old 11-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

How to tighten a stitch?
Well, I've figured out how to cast on, and THINK I know what I'm doing for the continental knitting, but how do I get my stitches to be nice and tight and even? What do I pull on - the working yarn coming from the skein, or do I kind of pull the needles away from each other? When I pull the needles away from each other, it result in a messy situation for my last stitch on each row. The loop on the needle is okay, but the yarn that is underneath it, that (I guess) comprises the rest of the stitch is very big...

Help please!!

P.S. Lovin' this site already - y'all are very helpful!!
Curlykat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Give yourself time. Don't pull on any stitches--you'll get into a bad habit and end up with too-tight knitting. Nobody's work looks even and perfect when they first start. If the first loop is too loose for your liking, you can just slip it to the needle without working it and begin your knitting with the second stitch. It will tighten up your edge a bit.

Relax, get into the rhythm of knitting and it will come.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
When I first started knitting I kept ripping it out because the first rows always looke so awful. What I learned was to keep going! Somehow it all works out and after several rows it all looks pretty good! Your tension will become more even as you practice, too. That first stitch loop always looks large, but it does seem okay when it's all knitted in.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
there are ways to do it but often they result in bad knitting habits. what i would say is that if your worry is the last stitch on the needle when you finish a row, pull it down a little bit and it should tighten it up. Most new knitters don't naturally knit tooo loosely. They are more likely to knit too tight and if you consciously start pulling at stitches to tighten your work you are going to find that it takes three skeins of yarn to do a two skein project. Basically the act of making the second stitch will usually tighten the first stitch as much as it needs to be.

if after you have been knitting for a while you find that your gauge really is too loose, you can adjust your needle size. In general, unless you are reeeeeeeally doing something wrong, you don't want to adjust the way you knit because it will foul up the work in the end!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
lol....do you sense a theme in our responses?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brendajos
lol....do you sense a theme in our responses?
Ha, ha - you mean the theme of R-E-L-A-X...?!? Yep, I've noticed, but I need to let go of my perfectionism and just enjoy it.
Curlykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
Racerkatie
1st Leg of the Journey

This could be a silly idea, but if you get tired of "practice" knitting and are frustrated you think you can't make anything that looks decent until you've got more practice ... try getting some of the eyelash yarn/fun fur. The furriness poufs out so that none of the individual stitches really show. And then you can have the satisfaction of making something while still "practicing."

For years (like 20), I would only knit only once per year or every other year and since I did my blanket and other projects, I noticed my tension is more consistent than ever before.

so, if you end up wanting more instant gratification, there is at least one way..... to do both. The downside (or maybe this is really upside) is that you'll not be able to easily see how consistent your stitches are with the fun fur and that will force you to focus more on just making the stitch and feeling the tension.

have fun.
Racerkatie is offline   Reply With Quote