Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
For Whom Do You Knit??
Ok, so i know that the holidays are just around the corner and most are frantically making things to give as gifts, but it made me wonder what was the impetus to knit for most members?

For example: I started knitting about 1.5 years ago (marginally) and only seriously knitting about 10 moths ago. Since then i've made three baby blankets, 3 baby hats, a baby sweater, booties, a shawl for my sister, discloths for my mom and sister, about 7 scarves for family and friends, etc...

It dawned on me that i haven't really made anything for myself - not that i mind. I knit because i like it and i the finished products, but i guess i'd classify myself as a "gift knitter". I'm constantly finding things i'd like to make for others. I have about 25 projects i'm planning for my lovely sister and have 2 books on baby stuff and have NO children (nor plans for any) of my own, but i have friends who are rapidly procreating! However, I don't have a strong need to make things for me (i have a few sweater ideas, but i have so many other projects i'd like to finish first).

So my question to the forum is: For whom do you knit? Are the projects you complete for yourself or gifts for others generally?

Just curious,
-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Barefootmama
Ribbing the Cuff

So far, just me. Then again, I only started knitting a few weeks ago and I have yet to finish my first project. :D It will be for me though. All the ideas I have in my head are for my son, husband, and other family members. They will all be overloaded with my knitting projects once I get a good hang of this!!
Barefootmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
OMG, Ive been knitting for EVERYONE! Each of our friends is getting a handknit birthday gift, and each of our family members for Christmas. And, I am knitting for Howie, because he's cold all the time. :(
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #4
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

mostly for charity, then most for my family...

and if I do do something for me, I usually give it away.

though I was just thinking that I do need a new hat this winter! :D

edit: gah, that makes me sound like a do-gooder annoying-type person..I do have a scarf I wear a lot that I knitted...and I did just buy a ton of Elsebeth Lavold's angora for a sweater for me, and you'll be sure I'm not gonna give THAT away!

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

I knit mostly for others...which is why I'm keeping my latest scarf (Heart from knitty.) haha.

I knit a lot for DD because baby projects are usually fast (unless it's the $%^&* seed stitch sweater that I've been working on forever), and they're a good way for me to try new things.

I'm knitting up a bunch of scarves to give tot he women I work with for the holidays.

~Sharon

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
gimmesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
ebrperk
Knitting the Flap

I mostly knit for anyone but myself. I have made several baby blankets and scarves and dish cloths. If I like someone I will knit for them but only for people that will appreciate it.

Robin
ebrperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Julie
Instepping Out

My 36th FO was the first I knit for myself. I love knitting kids things because it's a great way to learn new things without a huge time/yarn commitment...a few have ended up staying home (for my girls) but I've given most of them away. That's one of the reasons I started my blog -- so I could have a record of what I've done (pictures, pattern modifications, etc).
Old 11-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I knit mostly for myself because I'm still trying new things...and most of m friends are boys and don't appreciate knitting. My dad keeps asking me when I'll make him something and I keep saying, "When you decide to start wearing scarves, hats, or mittens." :P

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Mer
Working the Gusset

I knit mostly for myself--especially large things, like sweaters. Hard to figure out sizing for other people, and I don't want to put so much work into something only to have them not like it! But my family will be getting knitted Christmas presents this year!

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Danielle
Working the Gusset

I knit for myself mostly. Although, this Christmas I will be giving several family members and a few friends knitted gifts. :D

OTN: nothing :(
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote