View Poll Results: Are you interested in meeting up? If so, how far would you be willing to drive to meet your fellow K
Not interested 3 5.17%
Less than/up to an hour away from me 19 32.76%
Up to 2 hours away from me 22 37.93%
Up to 3 hours away from me 10 17.24%
Anytime, anywhere!! There are planes, you know! 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

Knitters in the North East
OK, there has been some talk that we shouldn't let the Illinoisians have all the fun with their getting together and knitting and all that...
So, anyone in the Northeast that would like to give it a shot?? I know that term covers quite a bit of area, but if there's enough interest we could organize two or more... say, one near Pittsburgh, one near DC, one in New England.
Feedback??

Personally, I love daytrips, so any drive up to 3-4 hrs away is no problem.

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Jeep_Girl
Instepping Out

Hey Rebecca - I live in PGH so I'm glad to see this!!

I don't know if 3-4 hours just for the day would be doable - I'd have to stay the night somewhere to make it worth the drive - I don't like driving - my DH can attest to that - when we do long trips - I immediately sleep - poor thing has to drive the whole way.

OTN: A sock which will get ripped soon, a scarf....
Jeep_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
It depends on when it is. I'm probably closer to you all when I'm home, but I only get to be home foe 5 weeks (aside from summer) all year, so I'm not giving that time up!
When I'm at school, I'd be willing to drive three hours or so, but I also have to think about having class and homework and whatnot. :rollseyes:

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
I'd love to meet you guys! I would consider making a longer trip (i.e. overnight), but like Cate, I have school to consider. I was thinking that northern PA would be a good compromise. There's also Elmira/Binghamton. People from PA could get up there in a couple hours and folks like Ingrid, Victoise, Cate, and I would be a couple hours away. (Sorry Susie, that would still be a long trek for you!) I don't know how far that is from NYC, I've never been east of Binghamton. We've only lived out here about 13 years. :rollseyes:

Darn all these mountains and lakes! They're all just in the way! Where's my flying car?!!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
I"d love to get together with fellow KH people!!! I'm in Baltimore so fairly centrally located. DH drags...ahem...cough sputter...TAKES me to Civil War battle fields... so I figure I can TAKE him on a field trip like this!!!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hmmmm, yeah that's a great idea but, but there's a but, I hate driving too far by myself too. Binghamton is about 3 hours, not quite.
It would be a great summery thing. PA is not too far but I never go there. I wouldn't mind inviting you all to my place! I have a HUGE new sunporch that I'm actually thinking of turning into a knitting shop/class/get together place once it's finished (and as long as my DH doesn't mind which I don't think he will).

I'm in sheep/alpaca country too! Catskills, east of Binghamton about 3 hours I guess. Bovina Center. There are some really neat B & Bs in my little hamlet also. Well, let's kick it around and see what happens.
The other night I had some friends over and I excitedly pulled out my newest yarn which btw, is brilliant colors I got at the Wool & Sheep Festival, and they were like, 'ummmm, yawn, yes, isn't that lovely'' !!!!!!! So it would be nice to be around some ENTHUSED understanding knitters!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I like the idea of Binghamton (but it's about 5 hours for all you MD folk :P), but that's only because it's close. I go through it every time I go home. :D

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

I'm in the Cleveland area, so any Pittsburgh/Buffalo kinda meet up would be good for me - even mid-PA okay.

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Re: Knitters in the North-East - Get Together??
Originally Posted by punkhippiemom
OK, there has been some talk that we shouldn't let the Illinoisians have all the fun with their getting together and knitting and all that...
NO YOU SHOULDN'T!!! We are GLAD to serve as some sort of inspiration!!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Great idea!!!

If western Massachusetts isn't too far for y'all, I happen to live 1/2 hour from the country's largest yarn store!! (Webs, aka www.yarn.com ) I bet we could get a room to ourselves to hang out, and Northampton's a great town for food and shopping. :D

Sounds like NY might be a more central hub though? :thinking:

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote