Old 11-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

OT: another cat problem I could use your help on
Hi! Normally I don't post off topic but after seeing all the help on that feral kitty I thought maybe someone has gone through this?

My gorgeous cat Toisie is really going through some bad stuff. She can't stop coughing or trying to cough up hairballs that won't come up. This was going on in the spring also and when I took her to the vet he just laughed and said "You woldn't believe all the cats that are being brought in right now, it's the season." So he told me to give her more than the recommended dosage of that Petromalt stuff and brush her more which I did. That passed but now it's happening again but much worse. She's coughing/choking all the time, I can't touch her without her starting to cough again. I give her vaseline when it seems like she won't stop which helps a little.

She's got a LOT of fur, a long hair of course. Is there ANYTHING else I can do to help her get this hair out? She just turned 11 this year and the vet's assistant said it's just harder for them to cough hairballs out when they're older. I hate the helpless position I'm in.
I hope it's not her lungs instead of hairballs also.

Thanks for any advice....

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
hugs hugs hugs hugs and MORE hugs...it STINKS when they don't have a voice doesnt' it?

I'd schooch her into the doc for a quick check....they might be able to "hear" something??? And brush brush brush brush...is your kitty coming out for dinner or hiding most of the time?

but my sug. is to go to the doc.

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

THANKS for the hugs Heather! (feels sooo good)

She is coming out to eat thank goodness. I've been asking god to give her one more year for so long....

Old 11-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

there's also good hairball formula cat food!

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
cheetahcalledchloe
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Victoise, I'm sending you a big hug too - It's just awful when the furballs are under the weather :( I would take her to the Vet and see what they say, have you tried the Hairball formual (I bet you have all ready). I hoe she feels better soon!!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

I've heard that hairball formula foods don't work all that well, but I still use it!

My vet told me that if the furball paste that he gave me (which you can get at the store too) doesn't work, give the cat a syringe or dropper full of pineapple juice. It will dissolve the hairball.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

{{{{HUGS Victoise}}}}
I'm praying for your kitty's health.
I've never had a long-haired cat, just short-haired, so I know nothing about this. Wendy's pinapple juice advice sounds clever, I hope it works for her!
xoxo Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
My indoor cat has trouble and she is short haired.. the vet gave us some nasty brown stuff to use on her can't remeber the name right now LOL but it kinda stinky and gooey you put it on her nose she licks it off and is suppose to help... She doesn't have the problem very often though... My dog Shermee does he hacked all the way home from WV and that night and the next day now he is ok so I guess what ever was stuck got unstuck poor guy.. Ya might wanna take your furbaby back to the vet though and see if there is more they can give you... and I'll try to look for that tube of gook

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

thank you thank you thank you! It's so nice to feel caring out there.
And wow, I haven't heard from Amy for ever it feels. Thanks Amy!

Oh my god, that's such an unusual idea... the pineapple juice. Fibergirl!, wow, that's what I was searching for, something different. I keep thinking, I'll bet Indians had some outrageous herbs or something we don't know about. Pineapple juice sounds like it would dissolve hair sort of! and at least she wouldn't have time to hate it.

love that name CheetahcaledCloe! Thanks Carol!

She's come out from under the bed... she must be hearing this conversation. (I brushed her again this morning.) One thing I did last spring was give her a bath. I hate to do that but it sure gets lots and lots of hair off her. She was pretty complacent about it too, for the first time. Maybe I'll do that again.

love your hugs

Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #10
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

dustinac! I know, it's the Petromalt stuff in a tube? dark brown gooey. she LOVES it, thank god, licks it up off the tube end, but it's just not enough. (going out to buy pineapple juice now!)