Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #11
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by FiberGirl
I've heard that hairball formula foods don't work all that well, but I still use it!

My vet told me that if the furball paste that he gave me (which you can get at the store too) doesn't work, give the cat a syringe or dropper full of pineapple juice. It will dissolve the hairball.
ooh good idea...

I use 1/2 of the over-the-counter hairball formula cat food and 1/2 of the expensive good stuff - with five cats, I cannot afford the good stuff all the time so I figger some is better than none.

I get WELLNESS cat food

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I've had cats all my life and right now have a long haired, 14 yr old, ragdoll cat and hairballs are a big problem for her in the spring and summer especially. She doesn't like petromalt much and is allergic to something in lots of foods so I have to be careful. Once I find one she can tolerate I tend to stick to it. Right now she's eating Purina Indoor Cat and seems okay with it. But...that's not your question. :rollseyes:

I found that brushing daily works better than anything else I've tried. In fact I keep her brush next to where I usually sit on the couch and when she comes for a cuddle I brush her. Sometimes it's several times a day and I cannot believe how much hair comes off that cat during hairball season! No wonder the poor things ingest so much and have to cough it up! Anyway, try brushing her a lot and be consistent about it and I think the problems will lessen a lot.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Victoise
dustinac! I know, it's the Petromalt stuff in a tube? dark brown gooey. she LOVES it, thank god, licks it up off the tube end, but it's just not enough. (going out to buy pineapple juice now!)
We've tried the goo with Frida and she HATES it. We have brown goo all over our walls now from where she's shaken it off her face or paws. If I can get her to eat her furball treats (I got them at PetSmart), it does seem to help. But she goes through phases of liking them and not liking them. I think it depends on how hungry she is and how empty her food bowl is :rofling:

But of course, if it's really bothersome, definitely take her back to the vet to make sure there's not something more serious. Cats (animals in general really) will hide illness from you.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #14
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm so sorry your poor furbaby is not feeling well, its such a helpless feeling when you can't make it better for them and they don't understand. One of my kitties is short-haired but an obsessive groomer, so she has hairball issues. We've had good luck with Science Diet Hairball Formula, it has really cut down on the problems. You might also try a hair/skin supplement. They have them at PetSmart, a lot are in liquid form so you can pour it on food. The supplements have extra omega fatty acids that help reduce shedding so kitty doesn't ingest as much when they groom. I hope your baby is better soon, I will be sending positive energy to y'all!
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #15
Lacedolphin
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Lacedolphin
First of all I would find another vet and second, I would seriously push to have blood work done. I have 4 cats, and it doesn't sound to me as just a hairball problem.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #16
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Poor baby! I think another vet check is in order too, but we have had some success with Eukanuba Hairball formula. Mine hardly ever have hairballs anymore after we switched to that.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #17
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Wow you have FIVE cats Carol! Man. That's so neat. 4 cats too. I haven't looked at Science Diet hairball food.... will check into that. In fact I haven't used any hairball food, just senior stuff. (although she hardly seems senior at 11 I guess she is now)

This morning she was all freaked out and acting weird but now she's a little better. Another trip to the vet might be a good idea.

darn I wish I had the attitude of this neighbor I once had, Maggie the farm lady. She just laughed at me when I told her my cat had died and I was sad, said "big deal, you just get another cat" (Well maybe I don't.) It's not easy when they've been with you for a lot of years as I'm sure everyone here knows. okey doke, thanks again

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #18
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Victoise
Wow you have FIVE cats Carol! Man. That's so neat. 4 cats too. I haven't looked at Science Diet hairball food.... will check into that. In fact I haven't used any hairball food, just senior stuff. (although she hardly seems senior at 11 I guess she is now)

This morning she was all freaked out and acting weird but now she's a little better. Another trip to the vet might be a good idea.

darn I wish I had the attitude of this neighbor I once had, Maggie the farm lady. She just laughed at me when I told her my cat had died and I was sad, said "big deal, you just get another cat" (Well maybe I don't.) It's not easy when they've been with you for a lot of years as I'm sure everyone here knows. okey doke, thanks again
yeah I wish I had that attitude too - we recently lost one of our cats (who got hit by a car) so initially we had six. Not ready to get a 'replacement' for him yet, but by spring we probably will.

Hope your little furpal is feeling better!

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #19
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

My baby cat doesn't have this problem, but if he did I'd be SO sad. :crying:

Just more hugs is all.....

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hey thanks Kemp for that tip. I've not seen that product but will definitely look for it.

I think I remember reading about your cat when that happened Carol.
Sorry to hear about that. Thank god my babies don't go down to the road which is in front o four house. They've always been good that way. Hardly any traffic any how. It's the coyotes we have to worry about although I think the local farmers took them 'out' coz they don't seem to be howling at night anymore.

Since I've been really combing and brushing Toisie and giving her that petromalt junk she's seems to not be choking much. Fingers crossed!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote