Old 11-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

My first Marsupial Tote question....
The instructions (copyright Meema, and Debbie Stoller - go buy SnB, and all that jazz) say to: cast on 16 stiches, knit 44 rows and then place a marker. Then they say to purl 22 stitches across the long side of bag; pm; purl 16 along short side; pm; purl 22 more on the other long side; pm; purl another 16 along the remaining short side.

I'm assuming they mean purl right INTO the edge stitches that form the base of the bag - around the edges the 44 rows of garter stitch that you work in the first step.....and THEN you start working in rounds of stockinette....

This is just picking up stitches...yes? and you just start working the pattern in rounds once all those purls are in place?

*gulp* help.....

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Does it say to purl into the stitches or does it say to pu stitches. I don't know how to purl to pick up stitches. :thinking: Unless you put your needle in the back and take the yarn from the front? If it is that you have to pick up stitches in purl, then they should have directions for it in the book anyway.

If it says pu stitches, and you interpreted it as purl, then just pick them up as norma.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Does it say to purl into the stitches or does it say to pu stitches. I don't know how to purl to pick up stitches. :thinking: Unless you put your needle in the back and take the yarn from the front? If it is that you have to pick up stitches in purl, then they should have directions for it in the book anyway.

If it says pu stitches, and you interpreted it as purl, then just pick them up as norma.
it says pu sts.....

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

PU=Pick Up So pick up stitches on your circ as the directions say, all the way around the base of the bag, and start knitting in the round! So you were really right about how to do the bag, just got one abbreviation mixed-up!!

The bottom might get wonky when you pick up the stitches, but it will straighten out.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

PU=Pick Up So pick up stitches on your circ as the directions say, all the way around the base of the bag, and start knitting in the round! So you were really right about how to do the bag, just got one abbreviation mixed-up!!

The bottom might get wonky when you pick up the stitches, but it will straighten out.
Ohhhhhh I see.....

Okay. I think I got it!

Thanks Ingrid! You saved the bag!

Old 11-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I think you should go back and re-read the first couple of pages of your blog to review the game plan you were going to use for learning to knit. You were going to only use the knit stitch, to master it, for a long time, making garter stitch scarves for people for Christmas. Then you were going to learn to purl. That was on October 12.

Less than a month later you're starting a bag, picking up stitches, knitting in the round, doing drop stitch, etc., etc., etc.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 11-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
Totalele
1st Leg of the Journey

Marsupial bags are fun!!! Please, post pics when you're done, k?

http://spaces.msn.com/alpimenta/
Totalele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

I think you should go back and re-read the first couple of pages of your blog to review the game plan you were going to use for learning to knit. You were going to only use the knit stitch, to master it, for a long time, making garter stitch scarves for people for Christmas. Then you were going to learn to purl. That was on October 12.

Less than a month later you're starting a bag, picking up stitches, knitting in the round, doing drop stitch, etc., etc., etc.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*squealing with glee* I'm doin' it, Ingy I'm doin it!

Old 11-10-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Totalele
Marsupial bags are fun!!! Please, post pics when you're done, k?
I def will Totalele! I'm enjoying it already....

Old 11-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #10
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by knitting4babybear

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*squealing with glee* I'm doin' it, Ingy I'm doin it!
WAY TO GO

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote