Old 11-13-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
Alexan
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Alexan
Curling
Mmmk...so, I am a total n00b (newbie) at knitting. I just learned how to Purl this week. It still feels odd, but it's nice to learn new things.

Along with purling came curling.

Anyone have some pointers on how to combat this ? Can I prevent it ? What can I do AFTER the fact to stop it ?

I am knitting a scarf for my mother-in-law for Christmas, and I am certainly not going to give it to her if it's curling. It looks silly...

I alternate between knitting and purling every other row. The scarf is 12 stitches wide.

I am using Jewel Box yarn: 64% acrylic, 20% rayon, 16% polyester. I am sure that doesn't matter, but just in case...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

God bless !

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I believe there are tons of tips on combatting the curl. I would do a "search" for it using the search button and I guarantee you'll find all you need to know. Basically you need to add a border such as 2 or three stitches in garter and that will lay it flatter. Essentially on your purl rows,you knit the first few and last few stitches to create said border... Good luck curbing the curl!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:32 AM   #3
Alexan
Casting On

I have never done a border. This is only my second piece. Any good websites I can look at that will give me a How To ?

You mentioned "garter"...what is it ?

I'm sorry. I am so new at this, and have never seen anyone do this in real life. The videos on this site are all I've had to go on, and they are fantastic !

They don't deal with this, though...

Thanks !
Old 11-13-2005, 01:49 AM   #4
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Garter stitch is just using only knit or only purl stitches. You could try looking at www.knittingpatterncentral.com (there's a link on this site to it). Most of the washcloth patterns show examples of borders. I think they even have a section at KP Central of stitch examples that would be helpful. Many knitting books that are good will have at least a few examples too.

Not to worry... there are lots of awesome folks here with tons of knowledge to help. I'm not sure if this side has videos on specific stitches, I haven't browsed them in a while but I don't recall ever seeing any...

Hope that helps!
I'm visiting at my brother's and not used to his computer so I am not too handy at doing the links..besides,he just came home from work so i better go say "hi"!
Jodie
Old 11-13-2005, 01:56 AM   #5
Alexan
Casting On

Thanks, Jodie !

Old 11-13-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Stockinette always curls. The second sticky post at the top of the page gives hints on how to combat this.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #7
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
Here's what I use...hehe.
Attached Images:

foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #8
Alexan
Casting On

Jan - What is "stockinette" ? I thought it was a pattern, which is why I ignored the sticky on it.

FoldedBird - What is it ?! Looks nifty...

Thanks, gals.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:53 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexan
Jan - What is "stockinette" ? I thought it was a pattern, which is why I ignored the sticky on it.
Stockinette is what you get when you alternate purling and knitting. It's sorta flat looking with little v's whereas knitting has ridges. Garter stitch is just repeated rows of knit stitch. Stockinette is used in patterns, but if used alone it curls. Sometimes you want that like on the edges of some hats or sweaters, but if you don't then you do 3 or 4 rows of garter (knit) stitches and it won't curl.

The picture that Foldedbird posted is a flat iron. My daughters use them on their hair, but if she uses it on knitting it's new to me.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #10
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
Denise...do you use that on acrylic too? or just wool? or does it matter??? what a CLEVER idea!!! does it STAY that way then? or temporary?

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote