Old 11-13-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

What type of yarn...?
I'm almost done my first project - a little dishcloth!! I'm feeling confident, so I want to try to knit DH a scarf like this, but am unsure as to what type of yarn I need to buy...

It doesn't necessarily have to be organic cotton or anything like that, but I do like that it's a slub yarn (website's words, not mine, so I don't know if that's the correct terminology). So, do I buy worsted weight, chunky, sport or what????

Help please!!
Curlykat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i think you could use pretty much any thick/thin yarn you want to. not sure there is much of that at most Hobby Lobby/Michael's type stores. Think you would have to either go to a LYS or find some online. My natural inclination would be to say noro kureyon but i am not sure that would be ideal for hubby.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=2268

Here's another you could check out.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

So, it sounds like basically, I can choose any yarn I want??? The pattern says that I should use size 6 needles. Does that kind of indicate that the yarn I choose should be a little on the thinner size? Can you knit with thick/chunky yarn on small needles?

On the topic of needles, do you have any recommendations for what type of needle I should get? Circular, DPN, regular ones?? Metal, plastic, bamboo?? It seems like circular needles are more multi-purpose, as you can knit little things, as well as big things that you would actually need the wire part for. Am I correct in thinking this??

Everyone on this site is so great, with lots of super advice!! Thank you very much!
Curlykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
you CAN knit thick/bulky yarns on small needles but it will be super tight and i imagine it would be fairly easy to abandon the work out of frustration if the needles are too small.

as far as what kind of needles to use, that is a personal preference kinda thing. when i started, i used bamboo pretty exclusively. i hated the plastic i bought and for some reason was just kind of opposed to the metal ones. then i bought an interchangeable set of boye needles and fell in love with how easy it is to move hte work on metal. i almost never use my bamboos now and actually look for reasons to use the Addis i bought to fill in where the boyes don't have needles. i am getting a set of Denise's for christmas and something tells me i will almost never use my boye sets after i get them! :rollseyes:

so that being said, if you can do it, i would suggest getting a pair of each that you think you may want and give them a try. use them on the same type of yarn so you can make a fair assessment. (for example if you try wool on the bamboos and ribbon on the metal the decision may not be a fair one because yarn doesn't move quite as easily on bamboo because it isn't as slippery {this makes it great for the new knitter!} while metal slips very easily so the ribbon would easily fall off the metal!) See which one YOU like best and then go from there!