Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 AM   #1
knitbebe
1st Leg of the Journey

Calling all Sock Obsessed Q. for U
:XX: I'm thinking about delving into making socks. Sounds exciting, making something I can wear (without worrying that it may not fit over my bust or hips--or that beautiful sweater is not so attractive on me!! eeks---) So, I was thinking that before investing a buncha money into making a sweater I could spend less making socks and learn a great deal in the process.

My only :rollseyes: fear is that I would finish only one sock--admire it and then be so bored with the thought of repeating the very same thing twice....ummm.that I would not even begin the 2nd sock (I won't watch a movie twice nor read fiction twice) So, I have issues with doing something twice! (i's the artist in me--always wanting to reinvent the wheel)

Sock Questionaire
1. Do you enjoy making the second sock as much as making the first one.

2. Do you have many one sock wonders in your sock drawer?

3. What kind of yarn works best for you.

4. Do use dpns or sm. circulars? Which approach is better? and why?

5. Do you use itsy bitsy needles---or do make your socks with a 6 size needls. (I think as a beginner I will use a larger needle)

6. What kind of yarn do you suggest a beginner use. (My lys tried to sell me some balls of yarn that cost $10 /I needed 3 --so, I passed on that yarn --$30 for a pair of socks seemed kinda steep.

7. Would love to hear what you think about making socks, why is works for you.

8.What type of sock do you like to knit?

9.How long does it take?

I look forward to hearing from all the sock makers & please add any comments, experiences, tips etc.

:D I'm in awe of anyone that can keep up with 5 knitting needles at once!!!

knitbebe
knitbebe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I just learned how to knit socks. I used plain worsted weight yarn (I used Encore Colorspun, I think it was $6.50 for the ball, which was more than enough for a pair of socks) and size 8 double pointed needles. They're kinda loose, but warm and comfy, so I like them! I used Silver's Sock Tutorial and the pair took me three days or probably about 7 hours.
The tutorial is here: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/So..._Beginning.htm

If you think you might get bored, you could maybe do striped socks and make the stripes different on the second sock? I was afraid I'd abandon them after the first sock, so I made myself cast on for the second one immediately after finishing the first. Some people also like to work two socks at the same time...but I'm not that ambitious, personally. :rollseyes: I forgot who here was doing that, but I'm sure they could help (hopefully they'll see this and forgive me for forgetting who it was ).

Most importantly, HAVE FUN! :D Socks are fun!

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I knit socks in tandem...yep, I have two on a set of dpns @ all times while doing socks! I do a bit on one sock, then do the same on the other, I find that it goes very fast this way! I would suggest that if u are not familiar with dpns that you make your 1st pair with a larger size dpn(5-7) using sport to worsted wt yarn (u can use the socks for a pair of slippers or something around the house!). I found this episode of knitty gritty & the pattern on the site to be VERY HELPFUL. You will also find video there as well as invaluable tips :D

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I have recently gotten addicted to knitting socks myself! For my first pairs I used Bernat Sox that I picked up on clearance at WM. I think it was a set of 4 3.25mm dpns that I used for them. The yarn was pretty cheap, and as a rule {in sock weight} you use about 50g for child's socks and need about 100g for adult socks. I had a little bit of trouble at first with the smaller needles, but once I was done the ribbing, it was smooth sailing. I treated {for me} myself to some Patons Kroy at my LYS and that cost me about $12 CAN for the pair.

1. I have to admit that the second sock isn't as fast-going for me, so I keep the ball for the next pair of socks in front of me, knowing I can't cast them on until I finish the pair I have going.
2. So far, no one sock wonders... but I have store-bought mis-matched socks for my girls!
3. I have used an acrylic/nylon blend, and a wool/ nylon blend for my socks. Since you want them to "breathe" you would need a natural fibre, but to prevent shrinking/ felting issues, I would recommend a superwash wool, or a blend.
4. All of the socks I have knitted have been on dpns. I've heard from others that toe-up patterns, or using 2 circs is faster/ easier, but haven't tried either method yet.
5. Since I've only made socks using sock yarn, I've used 3.25mm and 2.75mm. My next venture is into work socks for my DH and I so I will be using thicker yarn and obviously larger needles.
6. Choices of yarn mostly depend on budget IMO. The Bernat Sox I used is cheap and washes well. I haven't finished my pair in Kroy, so I can't attest to how good that is. I'm a big one for how a yarn feels, so take a bit and feel how scratchy it is between your fingers... you won't want to work for long with a fibre that irritates you.
7. I taught myself to make socks so that I could make a cool pair of sandal sockettes I was sent the link for this summer. I've continued with making them as they are a great portable project, and I get a kick out of seeing how the stripes turn out and such. Plus having 2 DDs that are 9 and 10, they have fun showing off the cool socks that Mom made 'em at school!
8. The socks I have made have been top-down, and basic socks. My next venture will be into socks with patterned stitches.
9. Since I work full-time night shift, and always have several projets on the go, I would say that it takes me about a week per sock. Best guesstimate is around 8-10 hours each {keep in mind that I'm new and relatively slow}.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #5
knitbebe
1st Leg of the Journey

Socks!
Thanks!! so much for the replies!! :XX: I can't wait to get to the store to get some yarn to make socks, you all have inspired me!

cateknits, thanks so much for the link! I love your discipline!
nicolethegeek, you are inspiring two future knitters with the cool socks!--- My son who is 2 1/2 pretends to knit every chance he gets---I hope to someday teach him to knit his own socks.
rebecca, I think I will cast on the 2nd pair to insure that I make two socks!
I just discovered knitty gritty and absolutely love that show.

thanks again ladies,
knitbebe
knitbebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
Silver
Instepping Out

1. Do you enjoy making the second sock as much as making the first one.
Nope. I don't. Only because I'm wearing one sock and it looks really silly so I try and try to hurry and finish the second. The first sock is fun, the second can't get finished soon enough.

2. Do you have many one sock wonders in your sock drawer?
I only have one un-paired sock. It was one of my first socks, and turned out fine, I still have enought yarn to finish the second, but just never got around to it.

3. What kind of yarn works best for you.
I like baby, sock or fingering yarn best.

4. Do use dpns or sm. circulars? Which approach is better? and why?
I like dpns. I don't know why, I just do.

5. Do you use itsy bitsy needles---or do make your socks with a 6 size needls. (I think as a beginner I will use a larger needle)
I use anywhere from size 0 to 3s. Usually 1s or 2s.

6. What kind of yarn do you suggest a beginner use. (My lys tried to sell me some balls of yarn that cost $10 /I needed 3 --so, I passed on that yarn --$30 for a pair of socks seemed kinda steep.
A worsted weight NON acrylic. Acrylic socks are hot, sweaty and just icky. Use a worsted weight cotton, wool, or nylon blend.

7. Would love to hear what you think about making socks, why is works for you.
I love knitting socks. They're a small, easily portable project and I will never get over the magic of turning a heel.

8.What type of sock do you like to knit?
Any sock, but mostly just your basic cuff down, 2x2 rib with a turned heel.

9.How long does it take?
With some good regular knitting time, I can finish a basic pair in a week. 3 days for a pair in worsted weight. And an evening for a pair of baby socks.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Hi Knitbebe! Hope to see your first pair soon.

1. No. Hard to start the second one.

2. None.

3. I love the patterns of Opal sock yarn.

4. I've used both. I think since I seem to have SSS (second sock syndrome) that the best method for me has been two socks on one long circular...aka magic loop. I learned how to do it HERE there is a tutorial on 2 socks on 2 circulars [http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm]HERE[/url] Of the two methods, I like the magic look the best. Why have all those needles hanging when you can have just two? If you haven't been knitting long, my suggestion would be to knit Silver's socks first. Lots of pics and easy to understand. I would probably do them like Rebecca does though with 2 sets of DPS because of my second sock issues

5. I used size 2 on my first pair and it really wasn't bad. Just took a little while to get use to the smaller size.

6. I would consider making a pair of baby socks in regular old acrylic. That way you can try the turned heel and get the knack for the overall process and not spend much. Then if you really like it, you can buy "sock" yarn. Also knitpicks.com has inexpensive sock yarn. You can find Opal in 100g skein for $12-15 and it will make 1 adult pair about calf high.

7. like to do it when I travel. Very portable.

8.Toe up for me!

9.I cast on for a 3 hour flight, knit on it a bit on vacation and then finished it on the flight home. i guess I would say 7-8 hours for a pair knit with sock yarn on #2's

if you havent already, be sure to check out the Sock Knitters site. Have fun!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:24 PM   #8
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Future Knitters...
Knitbebe,

Inspiring our children is very important. The two DDs I mentioned are only 2 of my 7 children {no, that is *not* a typo... seven!}. All of them except for the youngest two {nearly 2 DD and nearly 4 DS} have the ability to at least crochet a chain. My 9 yo DD has expressed an interest in learning to knit, while the 10 yo has an on-again/off-again interest in crafts. My 3 yo will often take a crochet hook or knitting needle to what I'm working on and "stab" at it to "help" mom. So far the baby's only skill seems to be removing the needle from whatever project she can find. Not too bad when it's a simple stockinette project in a basic yarn... not so good when it's something with a pattern in a textured yarn like homespun or boucle!!! It's times like that when I *really* wish I hadn't picked up knitting and only stayed with crocheting!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote