View Poll Results: How should threads in the whatcha knitting forum be posted?
Have this forum act like the blog thread, one thread continuously for each person. 3 8.33%
Post a new thread each time someone has a new FO to show. 22 61.11%
Let everyone do whatever they want. 3 8.33%
Don't care, I'm not posting any of my stinkin' FO's! 0 0%
This is a really stupid poll! 0 0%
I have no opinion, but Kemp doesn't post stupid polls! 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
Mer
Working the Gusset

I like the idea of people who make the same items posting to the same thread so you can see the variations. I don't think it needs to be like a blog, because, well, it would be too much like the blog forum!

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I think each should have it's own thread with a descriptive name as the subject line rather than "My FO" or whatever. That way if if someone just wants to see bags it's easier to spot, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
everyone has such good points...DUH...it would be too much like the blog forum.

I like the idea of putting what the object is in the title though. It would help make things easier to find especially if someone is going a search for a specific pattern or item.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #14
Silver
Instepping Out

I definitely like the FO or ON designation, and the name of the item in the title. Very good idea there. I'll get some input from the other mods and from Amy on this.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
KnittinKitten
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by dana_renay
a separate thread for scarves, hats, socks, layette...if there is a specific pattern that's getting knitted by lots of people (like the FT clogs or Rogue or whatever) that could get its own thread also.
The reasoning behind this is that if I wanted to knit, say, a hat, and didn't have a pattern in mind yet, I could go browse through the hat FOs for inspiration.
I echo Dana's reasoning ... well said.

:XX:
Old 11-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #16
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Ok.... here's my two cents... well maybe its only worth one cent..... but I digress. :rollseyes:

I didnt vote on this option because there are a couple more options I see that could be on there.

1) Keep the current method. (One thread for all FOs.)
* * The obvious disadvantages to this is if you miss a few days, you usually have to read through several pages and basically have to take notes to keep track of everyone's stuff so that you can comment. Reading the whole thread would be dang near impossible without dedicating several hours to it.
* * The advantages to this however are: You will not get huge numbers of email notifications. You will not be searching through large numbers of individual threads posted since last logging on. It's easy to make this a sticky... something that would be impractical with individual threads.

2) Post daily joint FO threads. (i.e. Thread name = 11/17/05 FOs).
* * I see advantages to this method being as follows. The FOs are in one location. It will be easy to identify which threads are new when searching through posted since last visit. Email notifications will be kept to a minimum because older threads will continually drop off.
* * Disadvantages include: It would be impractical to make them into stickys, for easy finding, though a separate subforum could be created to house them, like the blog forum houses blogs. It could potentially be confusing to people wishing to post their FOs, if they are not familiar with the system.
You would get more email notifications than the current system depending on posting. If large numbers of FOs come in during a single day, it still could potentially mean taking notes to keep track of FOs posted to comment on them.

The issue I have with making an individual threads for each FO is that will generate HUGE numbers of emails. I see the validity in changing the current system but I also believe we need to realize that a lot of people that post on the FO thread ALSO post about their FOs in their blogs, effectively doing the same thing as making an individual FO thread. I see no point in triplicating it.

My suggestion would be to find a middle ground. Either group the FOs by type, by date, by yarn, by color, whatever. Keep in mind we already have several KALs here that effectively do the same thing as grouping by type. Admittedly they are more specific and they cover both FOs and UFOs. (insert alien music here).

Just some thoughts... I'll shut up now.

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #17
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
Hey Joel...I've never gotten emails. I'm sure people can turn off notifications.
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
Mer
Working the Gusset

The mods (or whoever decides this) might want to check out other forums to see how they do it. Not that I am saying that the other places are doing it "right" but you can see how they work. Craftster does it with each fo having a different entry, although people who have made the same thing often post in the same thread. Or there are threads for projects from a certain book, for example. Organizing by type might work out, but I think organizing by date, color, etc. wouldn't be too helpful for navigation.

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #19
Mer
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Joel
I see the validity in changing the current system but I also believe we need to realize that a lot of people that post on the FO thread ALSO post about their FOs in their blogs, effectively doing the same thing as making an individual FO thread. I see no point in triplicating it.
Oh, and I believe that this is replacing the FO thread in the general forum, so it's not adding yet another place to post. Good points though, Joel!

Old 11-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #20
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by kitkat
Unfortunately that one thread got so beastly long and once I fell behind, I felt like it took too long to catch up, ya know?
Whatever happens, lets avoid this :rollseyes:
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote