Old 11-18-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
libyav
Casting On

Straight knitting on circular needles?
Hi y'all! What a great site! I've poked around & can't find the answer to a question I have. How does one do straight knitting on circular needles? I'm a beginner, can cast on, knit, pearl, increase, decrease, bind off. I get the principle of knitting in the round on circular needles, but was looking at a pattern that calls for using circular needles to knit a rectangle. It's for a beginner poncho. I'm stumped! I just can't get a visual. Can someone point me toward a tutorial, or explain how it works? I'm guessing you flip, or slide, or something?

Thanks in advance!
libyav is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Try envisioning it as though the two points of the circular needle were NOT attached via the cable. You would start off with your cast on stitches and working yarn on the left-hand needle of the circ and start knitting onto the right-hand needle just as you would if you were working on straight needles. Then, once you've worked all the stitches onto the right needle, you will turn your work around, exactly as you would with straight needles, and begin working onto the empty needle. Does that make sense??

The reason that a circular needle would be called for in a pattern could partly be preference of the person who wrote the pattern, or in some cases, for example when making an afghan that has a lot of stitches, it can be very difficult to fit a large # of stitches onto regular straight needles and the work can get very heavy and is difficult to support with the arm and wrist. When working with circular needles, the weight of the item is distrubuted much better and it puts a lot less strain on your body.

Hope this helps!
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When you turn your work to begin working across the other way, you will have to slide your work to the other end so your working yarn will be at the left tip.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Really?? :thinking: I've never had to do this.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by knitqueen
Really?? :thinking: I've never had to do this.
The ones I'm using now are quite long compared to the number of stitches, so maybe that's why it's so noticeable. Now you have me confused! :rofling:

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I hope I'm interpreting the poster's question properly. Now I'm confused too!!

If you knit from the left needle point onto the right needle point, when you have worked all the stitches, before turning, all the worked stitches will be on the right needle point with the working yarn on the farthest left stitch. When you turn the work around to start the next row, your working yarn will be in the correct place, will it not??

The only reason I could think of needing to slide the stitches to the other end is if you are working i-cord.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

You're right--I'm thinking more of bunching up the stitches, I guess.

Sorry Libyav! Ignore me on this one!!

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
trouper
Casting On

Straight knitting on circular needles
I think the firat reply is the clearest...just pretend that you're holding 2 straight needles that happen to be attached by a cord. IGNORE THE CORD and knit the same way you would on straight needles. I knit almost exclusively on circular needles since I knit on the bus to work and I find that circular needles are a lot "friendlier" to the person next to you!
trouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #9
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Also, you don't run the risk of losing one of your needles!!