Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
NorthernIrelandKnitter
Knitting the Flap

The slipper still doesn't fit.
I knit the slipper in a bigger size, but it didn't make much difference. I think it might be the yarn that is the problem. The courtelle doesn't stretch that much. In decision mode now - try yet again with the courtelle or go for something completely different which has more stretch in it?

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,968 Times in 7,314 Posts
What weight yarn and needles are you using? I'm not familiar with Courtelle.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
jinxedone
Casting On

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/knittin...in-slippers-2/
The pattern calls for 2 strands of WW yarn held together. From what I can find your yarn is DK. Dk is lighter weight and will end up in a smaller slipper. Adding 4 stitches should give you an extra inch. Perhaps adding 8 stitches would make them large enough. Perhaps using WW would be a good idea.
jinxedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
NorthernIrelandKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Jan, courtelle is a yarn made by Courtaulds and is acrylic that looks like wool. The ball band says to use 5 mm needles - 8 in American-speak - so maybe I was wrong to use the same size needles with a double strand?

Gillian
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
NorthernIrelandKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Jinxedone, I thought worsted weight was double knit. I noticed that the pattern indicated to use 2 strands of worsted weight yarn, which doesn't make sense as 4 ply is different again - sport in American-speak I believe? The first slipper I knit in the fuzzy yarn fitted perfectly.

I have given up on the pattern and started on a much simpler pattern which uses bigger needles and thicker yarn, which is stash from a failed cropped bolero.

Gillian
Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by NorthernIrelandKnitter View Post
Jinxedone, I thought worsted weight was double knit. I noticed that the pattern indicated to use 2 strands of worsted weight yarn, which doesn't make sense as 4 ply is different again - sport in American-speak I believe? The first slipper I knit in the fuzzy yarn fitted perfectly.

I have given up on the pattern and started on a much simpler pattern which uses bigger needles and thicker yarn, which is stash from a failed cropped bolero.

Gillian
Jinxedone is right, DK would make a smaller slipper.

For the most part ply has nothing to do with yarn weight anymore.
http://web.archive.org/web/200612221...4-ply-why-ply/

The yarns (here) go from lace weight, fingering, sport, DK, worsted, bulky, super bulky. There's some variation in between sometimes, but these are the basics. 4 ply is 4 plies and if each of those plies is thicker you get thicker yarn, etc. I sit with spinners every Tues and watch how differently they each spin a single. They could each spin the same fiber then ply and get a different weight of yarn. It's cool!

For a 4" square (10cm) DK is about 22-24 stitches, worsted is about 18-20 stitches. So holding two worsted together is going to be at least bulky weight.

Good luck with your new pattern!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
NorthernIrelandKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Thanks Jen, but I am still puzzled. Why does the designer talk about taking two strands of 4 ply worsted weight yarn. Secondly, I have now discovered, with the help of an online chart, that your worsted weight is our aran weight, which requires 5.5 mm - 6.5 mm needles, so why is the pattern saying to use a doubke strand of this and knit it with a size 5 mm needle?

Incidentally, I think my gauge has shrunk. It used to be quite loose, but now I can get 5 stitches to an inch on what I assume to be worsted weight yarn, slightly less on the doubled up double knitting yarn.

This is the first time I knew that you guys used the term double knitting when referring to yarn weights - one area where we speak the same language lol.

Gillian

Last edited by NorthernIrelandKnitter : 05-23-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Left out a hyphen.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by NorthernIrelandKnitter View Post
Thanks Jen, but I am still puzzled. Why does the designer talk about taking two strands of 4 ply worsted weight yarn.
Most likely that is to get a 'bulky' weight. That's not an exact science though since each weight can have varying gauges. Probably works most of the time.

Quote:
Secondly, I have now discovered, with the help of an online chart, that your worsted weight is our aran weight, which requires 5.5 mm - 6.5 mm needles, so why is the pattern saying to use a doubke strand of this and knit it with a size 5 mm needle?
Worsted weight is generally 18-20 stitches per inch. The two terms aran and worsted are generally used interchangeably. I think some consider aran just slightly heavier, but not bulky. The lower end (18) of worsted.

Quote:
Incidentally, I think my gauge has shrunk. It used to be quite loose, but now I can get 5 stitches to an inch on what I assume to be worsted weight yarn, slightly less on the doubled up double knitting yarn.
Your gauge can vary with what mood you're in (angry, frustrated or, relaxed and happy) how long you've been knitting (10 minutes vs 3 hrs for instance) as well as the needle type (wood vs metal), knitting style (english vs continental) as well as yarn weight to needle size. So many reasons. This is one reason to do a swatch, but people often say "swatches lie" and the reason are all of the above.

Quote:
This is the first time I knew that you guys used the term double knitting when referring to yarn weights - one area where we speak the same language lol.
Yep! And I think jinxedone was right when she said if your yarn was DK the slippers would be too small.

SO... the lesson here is to use the correct weight yarn and gauge and then do a swatch to find the needle size that works with the pattern gauge. That should work to get close to the correct slipper size.

Did I answer what you needed to know?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
NorthernIrelandKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Thanks Jan. I understand that the purpose of using a double strand is to make the yarn bulky. What confuses me is why the pattern talks about using 4 ply worsted weight when 4 ply and worsted weight are 2 different yarn weights.

The 2nd thing that confuses me is why the pattern calls for a double strand of worsted weight yarn and size 5mm needles when a single strand uses size 6mm needles.

I just checked the terracotta slipper I completed and found that I had 9 garter stitches to 2 inches. That reminds me, I am not too bothered that my gauge has changed over the years. It's just something I've noticed. It was loose in the days of my youth, so maybe maturity has something to do with it lol.

I guess I'll sit down sometime and figure out the correct needles and yarn I need to use.

Gillian