Old 11-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
ladyjag
Casting On

Slippers With Cuffs - Help Please!
I am a beginner and I am using the english knitting method.

I have two questions. My first question is after I cast off 7 sts., I am left with 1 stitch on my right needle and I'm not sure what to do with that 1 stitch. Do I move it back over to the left needle and begin to follow row 2 and knit 7 sts. or do I leave the left over stitch on the right needle and continue on the left needle, row 2, and begin with a knit stitch?

- I noticed after I cast off 7 sts. there are only 38 stitches left on the needle. Both row 2 and 3 total 45 stitches. I must be missing something. :thinking:

Here is the pattern and a link to a picture.

Instructions:

Cast on 45 sts.

Row 1: knit
Row 2: k7, p1, k29, p1, k7
Row 3: k 17, p1, k9, p1, k 17

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have 16 ridges. Cast off 7 sts for two rows. Continue pattern for 10 ridges.

Shape Toe:

Row 1: k2, k2 tog across; end k3
Rows 2, 3, 4: knit
Row 5: k1, k 2 tog across
Rows 6, 7, 8: knit
Row 9: k2 tog across
Row 10: knit

Cut yarn leaving a 10 inch tail. Thread needle, draw sts tog and sew together the toe section. Then sew the heel edges together.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patt...ksslippers.htm
ladyjag is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Mer
Working the Gusset

Hmm, I don't think this is a very well written pattern. In terms of the 1 stitch left on your right needle after casting off, you would generally just leave that on the needle and continue on with the rest of the row in the established pattern. You are correct in saying that there should be 38 stitches left after binding off 7, 45-7=38. So after that first cast off row, turn it around and cast off 7 again on the other side. Hope that helps!

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
ladyjag
Casting On

Thank you for your reply and thank you for explaining what I should do with the last stitch, after I cast off - it was helpful. What would you suggest I do with the remainding 38 sts. before I turn my work? What would happen if I cast off and then knit to the end of the row?
Is it uncommon, on straight needles, to take the work off my left needle turn the work around and cast off the other 7 sts.?
ladyjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Don't take anything off your needles.

You can only cast off at the beginning of the row, so cast off your first seven and work to the end. Then, at the beginning of the next row, cast off the first seven.

Now you'll continue on the stitches that are left on your needle for 10 ridges.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote