Old 11-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
Holding your yarn...
Could you send me pictures of how you hold the yarn in your right hand? I am teaching a class....and I KNOW I do it "unconventially"...and want to teach the "right" way....

TIA

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

From what I've seen and heard, there is no *right* way or *wrong* way. You do whatever is most comfortable for you. I've never EVER wrapped my yarn around my fingers. When I first started crocheting, I simply held the yarn {or thread} lightly in my left hand with my ring finger and pinky controlling the tension with how tightly I gripped it. Now that I knit, I do the same thing since that is what feels comfortable. Other than typical newbie gauge issues, I've never had a problem with my tension.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Angelia

I think Nicole is right: there is no "right" way as long as you create a workable tension, one that feels comfortable and allows the yarn to flow nicely. I've crocheted forever, and use the same method for knitting: wrap the yarn around my pinky, then over my index finger, controlling the movement of the yarn with my pinky and ring finger (close them to stop movement, open them to allow it).

I think Amy holds hers the same way...I know she demonstrates it on one of her videos, maybe one of the ones for casting on?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I agree. I started holding my yarn, years ago, the way my only book said to do it--weaving the yarn between my fingers. I've evolved over the years to wrapping it around my hand and fingers in a way that works for me. I don't know if it would work for anyone else.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote