Old 11-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

YAY!!! Neat, even ribbing at last!
Well I just had to toot my own horn! I cast on the stitches for a pair of socks for my DH for Christmas, and tried the "backwards" purling trick off of Nona's blog {thank you to whoever it was that posted that trick and the link!!!}. I've been plugging away at it for about 2 hours now, and have about an inch of my ribbing done and it looks FABULOUS!!! It took me a little bit to get used to purling differently, but well worth the effort. No more sloppy, loopy, lop-sided knit stitches at all. It looks STORE BOUGHT neat...

As an added bonus, the striping in the yarn wasn't coming out very pleasing and I was going to frog it and start over with smaller needles and more stitches. After going the inch, the pattern is slowly twisting around, so hopefully it won't be too bad when it's done.

:XX: :XX:

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Cool! Do you have a link to that blog?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Cool! Do you have a link to that blog?
Sure do! http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonakni...of_braggi.html

I need to take a picture of this and put it up on my blog too... I went to do a review of my Knit.1 mag today and realized that I haven't posted to my blog in nearly 2 weeks! <screams>

Nicole's Crochet Bistro

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
Old 11-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Is the whole sock ribbed? I made a sock using self patterning yarn and the entire sock was ribbed. I hated it until I got to the foot where it wasn't ribbed and the pattern emerged. I didn't bother making the mate. I had enough to make another pair of socks w/o ribbing. Stripes do pretty well with ribbing, but for some reason patterns turn funky on me when I try to rib them. Oh and the sock doesn't go to waste. I can't sleep with covers or socks on my left foot, so it is my sleeping sock.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

YAY for you

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by knitncook
Is the whole sock ribbed?
Actually, the pattern I'm using is. Well, the way I'm combining two patterns! I've combined the instructions from a Kroy pattern and a Bernat pattern I have. I did a k1, p1 rib for 16 rows. I then switched to a k3, p1 rib, and will be doing that for another 5 inches before doing the heel. I am doing the sock in Bernat Sox Army Hot, and the patterning still isn't turning out as pleasing as I had hoped. I'll continue knitting on it tomorrow, and if I still don't like it, I'll frog it and start over. Right now the green shades and black/brown shades are meeting and it's making a sort of green and brown spiral around the sock. I just came back from my LYS and she doesn't have any 2.75 mm dpns right now, so I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I'm using 3.25 mm ones for this sock and hoped that the needle size change would help "fix" my spirals.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro

Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
okay, here's a dumb question. i started some basic socks and my ribbing *looks* even but when i get to my stockinette, the knit stitches are like half the size of the row of knits above it... does that make sense? is this normal?

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Well I'm the last person on earth to be asking about ANYTHING normal!!! That being said, that's how my socks turn out too, I think mebbe it has something to do with the overall effect of the ribbing. Can someone else hop in here with a more explanatory answer? :thinking:

Nicole's Crochet Bistro

Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
I love Nona's blog as a source of so many clever tricks (like the recent I-cord glove fingers with the "ladders" knitted up later), but this is one I missed. What an awesome knitting tip! Thanks for passing it on.

~Debi~
Phretys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Update...
Well I frogged what I did yesterday. All 3 inches of it Even though the ribbing looked gorgeous, *AND* my LYS owner was quite impressed :D and had me demonstrate the purl trick to her... not as easy as it seems when you knit wonky like I do, and with cold fingers to boot! The spiralling colours on the sock really REALLY bothered me, so I took some pics and then frogged it. I'll be able to post pics as soon as I find my transfer cable... the kids put it in a safe place. :rollseyes:

I wasn't able to get the 2.75mm dpns that I had hoped to be able to redo this sock in, so I cast on the stitches for my 3yo DS instead. The stripes are a lot more random this time around, but still not exactly what I had hoped for. :( I'll admit that this is much better looking, and I won't be frogging them this time. I'll have to take a pic once I've got the frogged yarn used up and post that one as well once the cord is found!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro