Old 12-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #51
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Originally Posted by earthchick
The person I'm making this for (dh's ds) is a vegan . Does this mean he doesn't wear wool?
Vegans don't wear wool?? I thought they just didn't EAT animal products; I had no idea they also didn't WEAR them! What if it does no harm to the animal? I really thought it was a GOOD thing to shear sheep, etc. Very interesting. :thinking: I guess I won't be knitting anything for my vegan hair dresser, either, then.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #52
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I would ASK. I think that "orthodox" vegans dont wear animal products...but Im not sure that ALL dont.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #53
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
yea, I knew some "vegans" and it didnt matter...anything associated was like forbidden.

I use quotes because the said people were contradictory against their words with some issues.

I think that with wool it would be fine because they dont hurt the animal during that.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:51 PM   #54
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to ask b/c I definitely think it depends on the vegan. I once had a vegan roommate who ate honey. So the first time dh's son visited us right after we were married, I made this big pot of what I thought was vegan soup only to find out he couldn't/wouldn't eat it because it had honey in it!

He has relaxed somewhat on the honey issue, depending on whether it comes from a "humane" source or not. So I guess it would depend on whether or not I can determine if the wool came from an ethical source. Its Manos wool, so at least I was helping out a women's collective by purchasing it, so maybe that will be in my favor!

Meanwhile, I finished the hat earlier tonight. I must say it looks pretty great! Will post pics when I can. If dss won't have it, dh and I may be fighting over who gets to keep it! I want him to have it, and he wants me to have it (he thinks it looks good on me, even though I knit the man's size and picked out what I thought were more masculine colors).

Now I'm back to knitting my NEBB and may be redoing my toddler hats soon. I made mistakes with the shaping of both of those and think I'm ready for another go at making them right. I may branch out and try doing stripes for the first time ever! :D

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #55
Julie
Instepping Out

I finished the first of my colorful socks today -- I followed Silver's formula until I got to the end, then I referenced the Spun funny-little-socks-pattern for the end. We have a little friend with sock issues -- she's refusing to wear them right now because she likes the feel of her toes moving around in her shoes. Hopefully these will get her stamp of approval!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssock2.jpg
Views:	1340
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	23255  
Old 12-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #56
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Julie....that is SO cute! And what a funny story and great compromise!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:39 AM   #57
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Julie, those are so CUTE!!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #58
margie
Instepping Out

Julie, I love your socks!! They made me laugh- when I was making my son's socks (or sock, since I haven't made the other one yet), I had him try it on to see how much further I needed to go on length- he said "Mommy, this feels good like this- leave it like this!". I told him since it was my first sock, I wanted to do the toe, too- and that I would make him a pair of toe-less socks another time!! :D
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #59
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
So, cute, Julie!! I never thought about "toeless" socks!! You're a good friend to accommodate that little idiosyncrasy.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #60
Angelia

Love the socks, Julie! I would never have thought of toeless socks either...largely because I would never wear such a thing since I don't like my toes running amok in my shoes! :D

Here's my contribution to the December KAL! This was a first for me in many ways: First hat, first fair isle, and first attempt to knit using the English method. English wasn't hard at all, though it did cause problems for me when I'd switch back to continental...I made a couple of YOs. Ooops :rollseyes:

Oh, and I'm sure it's fairly obvious that I didn't follow any sort of overall pattern, hence the off-white stitches that seem oddly out of place I was just goofing on fair isle...It was fun except for the weaving the ends bit. UGH. That was horribly tedious.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fairislehat_183.jpg
Views:	1288
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	23281  Click image for larger version

Name:	fairisleinside.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	23282