Old 12-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #21
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
This is as far from real double knitting as you can get. Real double knitting is when you knit both sides at once. For this, I just knit a hat using a provisional cast on. Then when that was done, I grabbed the stitches from the cast on and knit another hat in the other direction. They're basically conjoined hats.
How did you get them so even? Did you count every row? I'm afraid I would have one hat longer than the other and it would all buckle up.
Attached Images:

Jackie M. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #22
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

OOPS...sorry about the pic. Annie was suppose to be my little picture....
Old 12-05-2005, 09:25 PM   #23
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Annie's welcome any time! I knit the first hat to the size I wanted, and then counted how many rows that turned out to be and did the second one the same.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #24
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Ingrid,

That hat looks GREAT!

Glad you liked my tips. It really does help to use a smaller needle for the ribbing doesn't it? (I like yours better than mine) :rollseyes:

I made a pair of "Manly Mitts" from Knitty to go with the fake double knit hat. They'll be REALLY warm because the mittens are stranded all over, so double thick. How do you keep all your stranded knitting from tangling and twisting all over? I think I spent almost as much time untangling skeins as doing the actual knitting!

Now I'm checking to see if I have enough yarn left for a skinny, short scarf. (Pics after Christmas, I hope).

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #25
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

very nice hat Ingrid! professional-looking.

I can't decide which way to do my first doubleknit hat. I think I want to try the real doubleknitting technique just for the fun of it. :thinking:

But I definitely want to do this version too. Your son will love it I think.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #26
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by MaryS
Ingrid,

How do you keep all your stranded knitting from tangling and twisting all over? I think I spent almost as much time untangling skeins as doing the actual knitting!

Mary
Thank you for the compliments on the hat! I really like the way it came out and it should stay on him well, and be warm in his Massachusetts winter. You're tips about the transition made all the difference.

I generally don't have trouble with tangling in stranding because I make a point not to twist my yarns. If you consisitently keep one above and one below, they won't twist on you.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #27
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Cool hat, Ingrid. That would be fun to knit.

Virtuella, my parents visited a friend in Norway a few years ago and my mom, being a knitter, wanted to get some yarn and patterns to take back. She's done this in England, Spain, France, and Iceland. She found lots of little knitting shops but they wouldn't let her buy patterns because she didn't have the right paperwork saying she had been taught the proper way to do the patterns. Her friend was currently taking some classes so she could buy more patterns. I guess some patterns are sacred and have to made just so. I have sweaters that she bought in both Iceland and Norway and that is all I wear in the winter. No need for a big coat down here. Just throw a cold-hearty sheep on your back!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #28
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
This is as far from real double knitting as you can get. Real double knitting is when you knit both sides at once. For this, I just knit a hat using a provisional cast on. Then when that was done, I grabbed the stitches from the cast on and knit another hat in the other direction. They're basically conjoined hats.
When you sewed them together, did you connect only at the top or did you make stitches all the way up the hat to make it firm? Am I making sense?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #29
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I only put a couple of stitches at the top to hold the two together. It'll be stretched over his head, so I didn't see the need for more stitching. Plus I hate to sew, anyway. :rollseyes: My grandson just got a doubled fleece hat from Old Navy and that is only connected at the top, too, so I'm sure it's just fine.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-08-2005, 12:54 AM   #30
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I pull the ends through to the other side to weave them in....that seems to work pretty well.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote