Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
mailgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

convert a child's hat to adult
I did a search but I can't find any info on converting a child size hat to an adult size hat. Do I just use bigger needles? Do I cast on more stitches?
When I was knitting in years past a yarn shop owner converrted a baby sweater to my size...It came out neat but after 12 years I still have not put the buttons on it! lol
Thanks for your help!
mailgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm

This site gives you guidelines of how to make a hat with different sizes. Maybe you could use these guidelines.

I would add more stitches and just try to make it proportionately bigger, but this site gives more specific directions.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I hate to do this again, but ladies, this is what we call "knitting math". You can decide how much bigger you want the finished hat to be. 50% bigger, or 150% bigger. Once you choose a percentage, all the increases and decreases must also change by that percentage.

For example. If you have a pattern that says cast on 100 stitches, and you want to make it 10% larger, you would figure 10% of 100 and add that many stitches to your cast on.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
True..."the math" helps...but sometimes it does depend on the pattern...if it's a k2 p2 rib, or has cables etc, that can make increasing or decreasing the size more complicated.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote