Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Backyard Leaves Scarf, Hat & Fingerless Gloves
Quite some time ago I put the finishing touches on the fingerless gloves that match my clappie and hat and have taken new photos of all, but must load the software for my new camera so I can post photos.
I cast on for the 'Backyard Leaves' scarf from the book Scarf Style using WOTA in fern and size 7 addi's Nov 30 and finished the 1st half yesterday. I found that my scarf was going to be more narrow than I would like, but I didn't like the stitch definition with larger needles, so I decided to do 17 repeats instead of the required 11 for the pattern. I began the 2nd half today & should have it completed in a few days. I have photos...but will post in a day or 2 after the afore mentioned software is installed !
I must say that this is truly a very, very fun knit and I have all sorts of hat & glove ideas zooming around in my head ! After reading so many horror stories around online I was a bit skeptical at 1st...but it's not hard, it's FUN, FUN, FUN And as soon as I finish this ensemble I am going to make the matching gloves for the Branching Out scarf and matching hat that I did last month...LOL, I broke down and ordered the Merino Syle from knitpicks for them...what the hey...I'm doing scarf or shawl and matching hat & fingerless gloves for all the others, had to do them for Branching Out, too! Then...either Knitty's Cozy or the super yummilicious lace shawl from winter Vogue.....only the yarn knows for sure Besides, my bday gifts from Lonnie may very well steer me from my intended course (finishing my project list) bc I don't know what the EZ "A Glossary of Knitting" may inspire me to do and the wonderful Sensational Knitted Sock book may very well kick start my sock sabbatical before the intended time.....who knows?!....only My Knitting Yoda "Show Becka's knitting path I will so a knitting Jedi she can be"...who can argue with that?!...Not me

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
jodstr2
Instepping Out

omg rebecca - you ROCK!!! that Backyard Leaves scarf is truly bad@$$ ! I can only hope at this point in my knitting know-how to someday make that one. I look at the chart and I wanna faint. I'm so anxious to see your pics !!!

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I can't wait to see the pics with your NEW camera! I'm sure they'll be awesome!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

You got the first half done in like 5 days?????????? I don't know whether to be mad at you or tell you that you rock....how about I do:

you rock :rollseyes:

how's that for a compromise? :rofling:

no seriously, I'm only "mad" b/c it took me like 4-6 weeks to get my first half done, and I only finished the stinkin scarf like 3 weeks ago after starting it in AUSGUST!!! And that was with the 11 pattern repeats and then you go and do 17?

*falls into a heap on the floor*

I don't know how you did it, but, ok, YOU ROCK!!!!!

-FG - who is insanely jealous of your knitting speed.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Thanks everyone, it's really, really fun to knit and I thought the chart too intimidating bc I HATE to knit from charts, so I don't. This is the 1st project that I have actually knit entirely from the chart..I used to just write the instructions out, but it's really not nearly as intimidating as I thought. I took the book to Kinkos and enlarged the chart and the symbol key and I have the chart in a page protector with my magnetic board under it & the strip magnet above each line & it's made it very easy to keep up...oh, and I highlighted the right side and left the wrong side plain AND I'm keeping up with the rows with a st counter (double protection...LOL!). I already have plans for a hat & fingerless gloves (lol, I hope to find glove needles that I like when we are out of town..then I may actually do gloves with fingers for a try...but I just prefer fingerless) and I have so much yarn I think I may do a clutch, too...I was just doing some sketching for it :D
FG, I actually finished the 1st half in 3 days! That was after I had done several swatches and ripped it out a few times until I came up with the needle combo that I preferred.
I think Annie Modesitt is a pattern writing genius! I really LOVE this pattern. I promise that I will load the software & upload some pics tomorrow...ya'll say such sweet & nice things, makes me really want to load them...I love u guys! THIS IS THE BEST GROUP OF KNITTERS IN THE WORLD
EDIT FG, I just reread your post, don't u be saying things like being jealous of me & speed knitting...LOL! Girl, YOU do beautiful work...I LOVE your scarf. Ya'll remember, I am the monogamous knitter & I happen to be home bc of my disability & I have more time to knit MUAH

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Old 12-05-2005, 02:14 AM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Jodi...if I can make this scarf..u can make this scarf...trust yourself, just do like I did with the chart..oh, and I even drew arrows on the chart @ each row on which end I was supposed to start...LOL!! I think that u can do it, just study the symbols & practice...have faith

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Old 12-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Can't wait to see the pics! New cameras are so fun
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by rebecca
Jodi...if I can make this scarf..u can make this scarf...trust yourself, just do like I did with the chart..oh, and I even drew arrows on the chart @ each row on which end I was supposed to start...LOL!! I think that u can do it, just study the symbols & practice...have faith
yeah, I would say the hardest part about this pattern is just getting used to the chart, but after the first 5 or so pattern repeats, you really only end up using the chart as a place marker. It was a very easy scarf to make once I got the hang of it.

Rebecca, you're too sweet! But I'm still jealous! :devil:

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I finally got the software partially straightened out...just can't find the way to reduce photos with this software...oh well, I will have to play with it...I have just a moment to post some pics...I SO LOVE THIS PATTERN !!

Day One

Day Three, 1st half complete

Detail of the ends

And today, with the beginning of the 2nd half..only had a little time to knit...I've been playing with the camera...

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Wow! You did all that in three days? Fantastic! It looks lovely, Rebecca!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote