Old 12-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #31
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Thanks so much :D !!
I promise that this is the 1st pattern that I used a chart 100%. What I did was go to kinkos & enlarge the chart & the abbr. key so that it was @ the ready when needed, too. I then highlighted the knit rows & left purl rows white, with an arrow pointing to it bc I needed to start reading the pattern from left to right on the purl row....I then keep track of the row with a magnetic strip. I didn't think I was going to be able to read the chart...if I can do it...u can do it
Oh yeah, I also counted the sts & wrote them down on the chart so that I wouldn't have to count with each repeat.
I took a picture of the chart that I am using after enlarging it..does this help?

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2005, 12:30 PM   #32
vcuchica931
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to vcuchica931
Originally Posted by DotMom61

Shayla --

It's knit in two parts and then they're either sewn or grafted together in the middle. This assures that you don't have upside-down leaves on one side of the scarf. Pretty cool, eh?
ahhhh ok thanks!

I can't tell the difference of the blocking either. But it still looks great to me1
Old 12-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #33
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:D LOL, thanks...I promise the 1st blocking was flatter & I took the pins away and repostioned one 1/2 and it allowed some of the 3Dness to remain...had I left it as it was, I think it would have been too flat & I wouldn't have liked it..I get to be kinda hinky about the details :rofling:
vcuchica931, I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your question about the 2 parts, I am rather goofy @ times & read things and it just leaks out of my brain....

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Old 12-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #34
shimacrema
Casting On

Thanks for showing us what u did to understand the chart better. I am going to print this out and see if I can make sense of it. It is probably easier than I am making it out to be. I did the same thing when I wanted to do the ruffles scarf from that book. After reading over and over and over again I still didn't get it. I left it alone for a few months then said let me just try it. I wanted to slap myself after I realized how easy that pattern was. Thanks again. After all of my holiday knits, I'm going to knit this for myself.

Shima
shimacrema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #35
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

YAY Shima, I am so happy to have helped! I think we all do the thing where we look @ a pattern & say we can't do it and come back to it later...for example...I did it with this one and it's easy!

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Old 12-16-2005, 01:50 PM   #36
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

My scarf is all done, as u know & I finally got around to seaming it together...I'm afraid that my 1st half was cast on too tightly & the seaming was a bit of a chore, but, it's done!

I then changed to size 6 addi's and knit the same pattern for the hat 'brim' or 'band' or whatever it's called using just 1/2 of the pattern so that the leaves are going in one direction & seamed it together so that the leaves formed @ the end will be tacked onto the St st portion of the hat when it is finished (later today, I hope!). I should have been finished long ago, but haven't been knitting much. I will post photos when I'm done
Oh, and i have the leaf design picked out for the cuff edge of the fingerless gloves (love, love these, they are working very well with my crutches...YAY!) and I need to finish all of this to take on vacation

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Old 12-16-2005, 07:01 PM   #37
Angelia

That scarf literally made my jaw drop, Rebecca! It is beautiful!

That chart, however, scares me...I don't know if I'm a "knit using a chart" kind of person...but then again, I guess, as with anything regarding a pattern, just go row by row by row, right?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #38
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

That chart scared the bejeebers out of me too, but by the time you're through your first pattern repeat you're all good. It just takes a little while to memorize what all the little symbols mean :rollseyes:

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #39
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Knitting with a chart is the best!! A little symbol can take the place of all the wordy directions, so I find it's so much easier to keep my place. The sweater I'm knitting for my daughter is written out. I made a chart so I could knit from that. Having to read, "slip two stitches from needle and hold in front, knit two stitches, knit two from cable needle" was reduced to a line across four stitches.

If you use post its or a magnetic board to keep track, it's a breeze, plus you can make sure you're in the right place because you can see what stitch should be below the one you're working. It reminds me of color by number.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #40
mintdee
Working the Gusset

Rebecca that is so beautiful! I hope to make stuff as beautiful as you some day :D

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote