Old 12-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
help with continental purl
with the help of amy's videos, i am happily and successfuly knitting continental, but purling, not so much. i can do it, but it's awkward and uncomfortable, and has been for weeks. My problem is getting the yarn down. In the videos, Amy uses her middle finger to push the yarn down and her forefinger goes down with it in a smooth movement. I can't get my middle finger involved for some reason. I don't know if I lack the coordination or if it's my big fat hands, but regardless, does anyone have any other hints or different ways to get this step accomplished? I'm able to do it kinda pushing the yarn down with my thumb and also by grabbing the yarn in between my thumb and forefinger, but the awkwardness factor and time involved has me purling English still.

thanks so much!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Forget the middle finger.

I just use my pointer to bring the yarn down.

It does take a while, took me almost 3 months of continental style knitting to get it comfortable :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well here is where i learned before i found this site (if you want to truly appreciate these forums check out THEIR forums!! ) They give some different methods for continental. maybe watching her will give you another view point? the continental part of the purl starts at about 2:15
Old 12-14-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by brendajos
~*~Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket?~*~
PMSL!!!!

KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Old 12-14-2005, 02:56 AM   #6
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I knit goofy to begin with, but I too just use my forefinger to manipulate the yarn whether I'm knitting or purling. I would say just do what's comfortable to you. As long as your stitch ends up the right way, does it *really* matter that much how exactly you do it?

As a side note, I think your new avatar is great. I roared at your "holiday greeting" in your sig line... I LOVE that commercial!!! I think it's one of the best politically {in}correct ones I've seen in ages.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:20 AM   #7
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thanks, all!

i guess i'll stick with the pointer finger thing or just never purl again... we'll see. the pointer finger actually works pretty well, though, it's nice that when you lift it back up, the yarn is just waiting there to be held by your finger again. magical! i think it just gets me because i can knit continental just like the video. as much as i enjoy the continental knitting, i almost get bored not throwing, so maybe i'll stick with the English purling for some variety for a while.

Nicole, check out the carols here

Brendajos, thanks for that link! I might give those other methods a shot, as well! Those videos sure are.... different than what I'm accustomed to from Amy! we are totally spoiled!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
JENinIA
Ribbing the Cuff

I push the yarn down with both my pointer and middle finger at the same time. I made a hat for dh with a fairly large seed stitch band at the bottom- that helped me go from knitting to purling much better due to the repetition.
JENinIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
If you're really having trouble with the continental purl, you might want to try the Norwegian. No pushing down of the yarn and the yarn stays in back rather than bringing it forwad...especially handy when switching back and forth between K and P. Amy has a video about it in the Purl section.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kemp
If you're really having trouble with the continental purl, you might want to try the Norwegian. No pushing down of the yarn and the yarn stays in back rather than bringing it forwad...especially handy when switching back and forth between K and P. Amy has a video about it in the Purl section.
I purl Norwegian, and Amy is right. It DOES make purling fun!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote