Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
kellyjo32
Knitting the Flap

I never pay attention to detail....
Okay, so here's what I did. I'm a self taught knitter, and was shocked to pick it up so easily. Well, in my attempt to learn decreasing, I realized I was knitting wrong, but getting the right result!! I was wondering if it matter at all when doing other stitches? Here's what I do...
when the stitch is on the left needle, instead of going between the current stitch and the next stitch, and putting the right needle in towards the pointed end of the left needle, I just simply go in the stitch, point to point almost. Make sense? Check out the attached picture of the right way, but instead my right needle is behind the front part of the stitch, but angled the same way. I get the same exact result, but I think the effect is in the "V" shape, the left side of the "V" is in front of the right, and I'm thinking it's the other way if you do it "properly".

So...my question is...will this affect anything? Or doesn't it matter? I think it's easier to do this one, less chance of the new stitch slipping off, but I don't want to have problems down the road.... :thinking:
Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	basicknit2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	23592  
kellyjo32 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
go to this page... http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ons_explained/ and scroll down in the first column and watch the video for K1 tbl. It sounds to me like you are knitting into the back of the loop.

now i don't know how that changes the stitch but that is what it sounds like you are doing to me.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

That's what it sounds like to me too. The result will be that all of your knit stitches are actually twisted stitches. Twisted stitches do look a bit different than normal stitches and they're used generally as a decorative stitch. There's certainly nothing wrong with a garment knitted all in twisted stitches, but you really should start teaching yourself to knit the correct way to avoid confusion and problems later when you need twisted stitches in a pattern.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
kellyjo32
Knitting the Flap

That's it!!! That's exactly what I am doing!! But if you look at her piece...it looks almost identical! Weird! Wonder how I picked that up!? Oh well, this item is all knit, so it'll be fine, but it's so great to get an answer in an hour about what I was doing!
Thanks for all of you help! :D
Old 12-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

sorry it took us so long, we are usually much quicker than that!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
kellyjo32
Knitting the Flap

I know you are joking!! That was amazing!! I was super impressed! I figured I would have an answer in a few days. And to have an answer that was that thorough! Terrific! It's actually for a hat I should have done for Christmas...it might go in the box...needles attached!!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

lol well i was joking but it is also true, unless it is the middle of the night there is usually a pretty quick answer around here! Stick around....we have a lotta knitters who can't knit during the day but love to help people who can!!!!