Old 12-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
catownedanna
Working the Gusset

Wash and block Noro Kureyon
I'm about to finish my Rosedale Cardigan knit in Noro Kureyon #170.

What method of blocking would you recommend? I've never blocked anything but my guess is steam blocking. With a damp pillowcase in between the iron and the cardigan or by holding the iron above the cardigan without touching it? Must the iron have a "press for steam"-button or does it work with any iron that has water in it?

Also, what is your experience in washing Noror Kureyon? The label says dry cleaning only but in reality: what would you do if you stained the cardigan?

Thanks in advance!
catownedanna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
well, since kuryeon is 100% wool, I definitely wouldn't wash it in the washer. Gentle handwash should be ok, although sometimes getting wool completely wet makes it "grow". As far as the blocking, I think steam would be perfect for that. You don't necessarily need a button...as long as when the iron is horizontal to the surface steam comes out. I like to do it with nothing covering the garment as long as I am careful not to touch the iron to the fabric.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

I don't know anything about blocking... but as far as washing it, I bought some Wool Wash from Wooly Rascals (http://hyenacart.com/WoollyRascals) and plan on washing my Kureyon stuff with that.

It's to be used by hand, like in a sink full of tepid water, but I was already prepared for that when I bought the Kureyon.

Monkey Sudz also sells some wool wash cheap : http://www.monkeysudz.com

You can also wash wool using baby shampoo, I know for sure. If you do it by hand in the sink and don't agitate the wool any while it's wet, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps, I'm curious to hear how others wash their Kureyon as well. [/url]
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
silveridger
1st Leg of the Journey

One thing to be aware of with the Kuryeon: it gets stretchy when it's wet. It can be quite a shock when you start felting a project and it actually gets BIGGER before it starts to felt and shrink. Washing a sweater from it would be the same, give some extra care to measuring the proper dimensions ahead of time, avoid pulling it out of shape with gentle handling, and if you have to carry it around wet put it in a towel or something so it won't hang down and stretch. Properly blocked to the right size, it should be fine.
Saturday Market Bags (2 at once!), Magknits
silveridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 AM   #5
catownedanna
Working the Gusset

Thanks for the tips on wool wash, baby shampoo and staying clear of the washing machine. I'll be careful when moving my cardigan while wet , as well., as I don't particularly like the idea of having a cardigan all stretched out of shape...

I'll see if I get around to blocking the cardigan tonight. Now I know that my iron will work for steam blocking!

Thanks for your help! :D
catownedanna is offline   Reply With Quote