Old 12-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

SNB Happy Hooker?
Anyone checked it out, yet? I think I'm getting it for Christmas. (or, if I don't, i'm buying it on the 26th)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
ecuzzacrea
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to ecuzzacrea
i've been crocheting a bit and i'll probably get it.

i have the 2 knitting books and i like those a lot.
ecuzzacrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I'm definitely going to get the book, but I was under the impression that it's only on preorder right now. I read about it a LOT at craftster.org

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
feministmama
Instepping Out

Check it out. I found Debbie Stollers PhD thesis on Dissertation Abstracts:

TITLE Captured in pictures: The image of the sex object and its influence on power-related perceptions and behaviors
AUTHOR Stoller, Deborah Susan
DEGREE PhD
SCHOOL YALE UNIVERSITY
DATE 1989
PAGES 83
SOURCE DAI-B 50/11, p. 5382, May 1990
SUBJECT PSYCHOLOGY, SOCIAL (0451); WOMEN'S STUDIES (0453)
DIGITAL FORMATS 2.86Mb image-only PDF

That women are often portrayed as sex objects in images has been well documented. Feminists have suggested that such images convey the message that women are submissive and are subordinates to men. The current study investigated whether images of men or women as sex objects communicate to viewers information regarding dominance and submissiveness. It was also tested whether exposure to such images would influence subjects' perceptions of their own and of each other's power, and affect their exhibition of dominance-related behaviors. With exposure to same-sex models portrayed as sex objects, viewers were expected to demonstrate a decrease in their feelings of power while exposure to images of opposite-sex models as sex objects would result in an increase in feelings of power. In the study, pairs of male and female subjects viewed either sex object or control images of men or of women. Following exposure, subjects interacted with each other, and their behavior during the interaction was analyzed for the extent to which they engaged in behaviors associated with dominance. Subjects also completed a number of questionnaires to assess their perceptions of the images and of their own and of their partner's power. The results of the study provided partial support for the hypotheses. Women who were exposed to images of female sex objects behaved more submissively in their interactions with men, and perceived men to have more power, than did women who viewed control images. Women perceived the female sex objects to be submissive and found the images to be degrading to women. Men showed no effects following exposure to sex object images, and no effects were observed for subjects exposed to images of males as sex objects. The results are discussed in terms of their implications for efforts to reduce the potentially negative consequences exposure to such images may have for women.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
jodstr2
Instepping Out

it's avail on Amazon now

interesting find, Lori. wow.
Quote:
Women perceived the female sex objects to be submissive and found the images to be degrading to women.
her paper talked about images, but still... with that book title and the term 'sexy art of crochet'.. might she want to attract mostly male readers... or could it be that she's trying to turn away female readers? or have her views have changed since 1989?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hhbook.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	23661  

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I don't think that this book will even get me to crochet! I have a "Learn to Crochet" kit and a book of crochet blocks & instructions and I just can't get into it! I think I am a knitter and not likely to ever be a crocheter But that's ok, bc I love the knit

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote