Old 10-17-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I got a knit picks catalog... I think I'm in love.
I just got a knit picks catalog in the mail... And I'd known about knitpicks, but I never took the time to look because I figured all online sources are expensive and thought that I shouldn't waste time looking. I looked today in the catalog and I just about fainted! the yarn is sooo beautiful and I found that I really like the WOTA. I'm just wondering the gauge of all of the yarn and about how much you can knit with each skein or hank. The prices seem reasonable, but then I dont think I've ever bought just a 50 gram skein or ball before. This sounds like hardly anything.

Opinions? What have you knit with Knitpicks? What gauge is the hank/skeins you bought? Suggestions?

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

I've knit with WOTA, Merino Style, Andean Silk, Andean Treasure, Suri Dream, Decadence, Shine and Twirl. The only one I wasn't about was Twirl...just not as soft as I had hoped. But I bought it to knit little lambs, so no biggie. :D My favorite was Decadence...I alpaca!

To get an idea of the gauge/how much yarn is required, look at the projects on their web site that are matched up with the yarns...also the newest catalog has a little chart by each pattern that hells you how many balls for what project...very handy. In general I've found their gauge/needle estimates pretty accurate, though th elast batch of Merino Style I got, there were some skeins that were much closer to worsted weight than DK, it seemed.

The color cards are great too...I have a KP gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm definitely gonna pick up some more of those. Great for matching colors.

(And when you order, don't forget to go through a link here at KH, to help support the site! :D )
Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

KnitPicks is the greatest thing since knitting!! I have huge plastic boxes of yarn under my bed full of almost exclusively KP yarns (1 just for sock yarn!)!! I have loved everything that I have used!! I'm almost an exclusive KP knitter....my 'treats' are SWTC's Karaoke & Phoenix yarns
I've seriously never found anything wrong with knitpicks from service (GREAT) to products (WONDERFUL)!! Of course, I have been called the leader of the fan club :D

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
snephenie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to snephenie Send a message via MSN to snephenie Send a message via Yahoo to snephenie
I LOVE the WOTA, in fact, I'm placing another order today. I am selling felted bags and am using ONLY WOTA colors.
snephenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
sogrammatical
Knitting the Flap

I requested a catalog too, mostly because I love getting mail! Hahaha. Now I'm really excited to get it!
sogrammatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by snephenie
I LOVE the WOTA, in fact, I'm placing another order today. I am selling felted bags and am using ONLY WOTA colors.
where?

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I'm actually thinking of going the cheaper route now and trying kool aid dying - a technique that I am not familiar with. But one of these days when I do have more money, I will try out Knit Picks. I'm just pretty excited now that I actually remembered I have a knitting friend who knows more than I do!

Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by humblestumble
I'm actually thinking of going the cheaper route now and trying kool aid dying - a technique that I am not familiar with. But one of these days when I do have more money, I will try out Knit Picks. I'm just pretty excited now that I actually remembered I have a knitting friend who knows more than I do!
Ya know when I'm really low on knitting funds, I go to my local Goodwill and get a $3 sweater and then pull it out, wash the yarn and volia, SEX. I have used Kool aid on recycled wool and its really fun. I highly recommend it.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

trouble is, I live in South Texas, and I don't see a lot of sweaters at stores like that :( I may have to try looking harder this winter tho..

Old 10-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
Mer
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by humblestumble
You know, KnitPicks also has dye-your-own yarns in large quantities much cheaper than their already colored ones!

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote