Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Putting 24 stitches back on needle
DD wants me to do a scarf for her - yesterday. I figured I could quickly whip up a k2 p2 patterned scarf. I'm chugging along and somehow slipped a stitch and could not figure out what I had done wrong or how to get it back on the needle. I decided to frog a bit and now I cannot figure out how to get my needle back in all the stitches! (Remember, I'm new to this, and all my scarves have been garter stitch so far.) Is there any easy way to explain to me how to get those stitches back on? I'm not too far into it so I could start over again, but if I can save the work I've done so far, that would be best. After all, she wants it done ASAP!!!
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Your best bet for ribbing is to rip it out until you get to a row that you know is 'good'. You might be able to get your needle into those stitches--which can be surprisingly easy sometimes, depending on the yarn and needle size.

If you don't think that will work, then pull out your yarn, one stitch at a time and insert your needle into the loop as soon as the yarn pops out. Don't worry about which direction you put the needle in. You can correct any stitches that you picked up backwards on the next row. The main thing is to get them all on the needle.

Once they are on, as you knit the next row, if a stitch is twisted--you can tell because it just doesn't 'feel' right when you put your needle in, you can just slip it off and put it back on the needle the right way and continue on your way.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
and once you are done with that go immediately to watch amy's video on picking up dropped stitches! I don't know how many projects i ripped out completely before i watched that video and i have never had to do it again. (and invest in some crochet hooks for this purpose if you already haven't!)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Thanks to both of you! I will try your suggestions.

Also, regarding the dropped stitch, this was the last stitch on the row. Somehow it fell off the needle and I think I accidentally tugged the yarn, losing maybe more than one stitch vertically there. (Does that make any sense?!) I was just going to put it back on my left needle and do the stitch over (it was supposed to be a purl stitch), but it was elongated and didn't look right. That's when I decided to frog it. I had frogged garter stitch before, and that's easy to get back on the needle. This was a different story!
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Here is my biggest advice.....lay it out on a table, and then frog it back to a good point, and when you get to the end of that row go verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly or else you will go into the next row inadvertently. Then, very carefully insert your needle.....if you do by mistake go into the next row, just put that one stitch on the other needle and knit it over.

Re the twisted stitches - you will know - they won't feel right, and those are easy to untwist as you knit.

A good tip for a new knitter is to insert a lifeline every 10-15 inches - to do that, you just thread a needle with some scrap yarn and run it along your needle through all the stitches. Then if you have to rip it, it will stop at the lifeline.....and then its easy to insert your needle and not rip into the next row.

Re that last stitch, maybe its just elongated looking because its kind of stretched right now. Your re-knitting idea is the right way to go...if it doesnt look right you can always go back another row or two

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Sometimes it's also easier to get the stitches back on by using a smaller sized needle to get through the loops without pulling the next stitch down the row out. Then just knit those off the smaller needle with your regular needle....it shouldn't make too big a difference in gauge.

My doctor taught me that one. Heh. ;-)
HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
JENinIA
Ribbing the Cuff

I was going to suggest the same thing as HamaLee. I am new to knitting also, and I know that it was hard for me to get the needle back into the stitches without losing more- basically if I messed up somewhere, I might as well start over. What ended up working for me was either a smaller needle (and by smaller I mean alot smaller in my case since my stitches used to be fairly tight) or a tapestry needles with some junk yarn on the end. I would just go and catch all of my stitches with the needle and then use that to transfer them back to my regular needle. Good luck!
JENinIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I do that with stockinette all the time,but with ribbing it's a bit more confusing.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
JENinIA
Ribbing the Cuff

I suppose that is probably true...being more confusing that is. I can't even talk and knit a ribbing at the same time!
JENinIA is offline   Reply With Quote