Old 01-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #141
Julie
Instepping Out

to the red blinking lights

I'm knitting Tubey for my best friend, who ixnayed the stripes. While it will be slightly monotonous to knit, it will look much better on her that way! :D

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2006, 01:06 AM   #142
mintdee
Working the Gusset

I was thinking of only putting the stripes around the sleeves. As cute as the stripes around the torso part of the shirt are they just aren't all that flattering. :rollseyes: So I would say go for it and use the sleeve stripes. I think that would be way cute. Come on and join us cool people.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:43 AM   #143
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Hild....you would be SOOOOO proud of me! I DID MATH!

I thiiiiiiink there are gonna be 200 sts around the body.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:44 AM   #144
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

I am a total newby but this sounds like so much fun...and I am a jump in feet first kind of girl. I figure I should give this a shot since I have pros like you guys to help me through this.
I found this pattern and it says it is "easy" what do you guys think? Do you think that a person who is new to knitting would find this to be "easy"? Has anyone used this type of yarn before? Is it bad? Good? I just do not want to get to all sorts of yarn and get started and then ask you guys a question and have you think I am a dork for using bad yarn or a pattern too hard for a newby.
I would appreciate any help that you guys could offer. Thank you so much.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...etSweater.html
chicagoknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:01 AM   #145
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

yay! more Illinois people! Have you read about out upcoming gathering??? Check the general forum somewhere in this thread (you might want to work bvackwards!). I don't *think* I rememberseeing you post there but if you haven't, check it out! We're meeting this month for a knitapalooza!

About the pattern...hmm.... It looks pretty straightforward.... big needles, chunky yarn. I hate when patterns say "reverse shaping" though (again, this is just me)--I like it better when it's written out, because I'm paranoid and scared of "new" things.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:38 AM   #146
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Here's another pattern for any of you bustier gals out there! I include myself in that category and think that this pattern is really feminine and flattering:
http://www.magknits.com/chilly04/patterns/donna.htm
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:56 AM   #147
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
If you did your gauge swatch, and your stitches per inch do not match the required gauge, here's what you do.

Say your goal is 4 spi (stitches per inch) or 20 sts over 4". You did your swatch like you were supposed to. What? What's that? You're knitting your swatch flat, but your pattern tells you to knit your sweater in the round? WHAT? You will *not* get an accurate gauge. See below, you knotty knitter.

Anyway. Say your goal is 4 spi. You did your swatch (correctly this time) and lo' and behold, you came up with 5 spi. You need to REswatch with a BIGGER needle. If you came up with something like 3 spi, you have to go with a SMALLER needle.

Just remember: Bigger gauge, bigger needle. Smaller gauge, smaller needle.

As for knitting a swatch in the round, you can do it with double pointed needles in the same pattern stitch as your piece. Knit yourself up a tube, bind off, and cut the sucker at the sides. Measure. Wha-la. Now, if you're not knitting your sweater on double pointed needles, then you might want to check your gauge while knitting on circs. Lots of folks get different gaugs between dpn's and circs. Unfortunately, I have learned this the hard way. In my humble opinion, the easiest way to check gauge on circs is to make a little hat. You might as well, you're going to have to do about 20 rounds anyway!

Hope this helps and that I've been clear. If not, let me know!
Denise
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:34 AM   #148
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I did my swatch on the same circ as Im using for my sweater, knitting about 5" across, and like when you make I-cord, but without pulling it tight, letting the working yarn drape LOOSELY across the back, WITHOUT turning my work, carried it over to the right side again....knitting stockinette without the purling. Then, I measure across the MIDDLE of the swatch to avoid accidentally measuring the loose sts at either end.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #149
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
That's another good one, KK!
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 AM   #150
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

oooo knitqueen, i LIKEY that magknits sweater!!!!

I wonder if I did it in merino style if it would strech a little more .... :thinking: