Old 12-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #11
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
Hmmm this looks like fun.
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-27-2005, 02:19 PM   #12
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I wish I wore a size 2 ....

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

ROCK ON! I'm so excited that so many of YOU are excited!!!

Debbie, we *all* wish we were a size 2. HOWEVER, with designing your own (like how I plugged that in?) you'll be able to make something that is flattering to your figure whether you are a 2, a 12 or a 22.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
lisak
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to lisak
This sounds great! What a perfect way to finally get over my fears and start a sweater!

I was thinking about making the Sunset Pullover from knit picks. Has anyone ever used the Vacation yarn? I don't know what Tactel is and wonder what the yarn feels like. It looks like a straw hat!
Hopefully the pattern isn't too difficult either?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Ohhhhh I so want to knit a sweater! This is a great idea. I will be gone for a week in January and right now I'm sick and can't really focus, but I will be thinking of what to do. I love the one Kelly chose..hmmm..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:08 PM   #16
melaniedc
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh! This sounds like fun! I've join the Sexy Knitters KAL and their first project is Grumperina's Picovoli (http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/picovoli.htm), which I think will work for both KALs!

Count me in and I'll try to keep up! LOL
Old 12-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #17
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Might just watch this KAL, all the seasons are out of whack for me.. hehe.. Plus, I have lots of socks to knit this year :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #18
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I've never knit a sweater and want to participate. I've already looked at some of the patterns in the men's section of Pattern Central. Does anyone have ideas for patterns for men that would correspond to the four sweaters listed above? Thanks. :D
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #19
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
I think the mudflap tank top from SnB would look HOT on you Jeremy!
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #20
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Wow Hildie, what an exciting KAL!!! You are such a motivator!!
This sounds great!

Hmmm, now might be a good time to slip in some advice about Gauge, since I don't think I have a video on this important subject. When working on something as large as a sweater, gauge becomes very important. 1/2 stitch per inch off, and suddenly your sweater is 4" to wide or too small.
Soooooo, here are my tips for getting your gauge right...

1) You need to do your gauge swatch in the same way you'll be working the garment. Most sweaters are worked flat and require seaming. So, work your swatch flat, like a scarf. If you'll be knitting the sweater in the round, you need to do your guage swatch in the round, or cheat a bit, and simulate knitting in the round: details on that here.

2) Do a FULL size gauge swatch for your sweater, cast on enough to generously measure 4 inches of knitting. It's a lot of knitting, I know, but it's worth doing it right! Save it to use in case you run short on yarn; once you know you don't need it, you can do what you like with it. Felting them can be fun, then you can cut them into circular coasters or flowers to embelish a bag, or whatnot. Anyhoo....

3) Do your swatch with the same yarn you'll be using AND the same needle type. I've found I knit at different tension with bamboo than I do with aluminum needles, and you don't want to realize this in the middle of your sweater as I once did.

4) I recommend working on your swatch only when you're warmed up from knitting something else for ten minutes or a half hour if it's been a while. Gauge can change dramatically when you're warmed up. It can also change dramatically if you're a new knitter, just getting the hang of things, so best for newbies to complete a few scarves (or equivalent) using both knitting and purling before doing a large fitted object, IMHO.

5) Once you've knit your swatch, this is how you measure it: measure out four inches of the relaxed knitting, and stick pins in to mark the start and end of those 4 inches. Mark those points first, and then count. This is how you get an honest reading. If you count as you hold up the ruler, it's tempting to stretch the knitting just ever so slightly to get the gauge your aiming for, and that's bad news. Your resulting number will be gauge over 4". If your gauge calls for stitches per inch, divide your results by 4 to get guage per inch. If you're off by 1/2 sts./inch, change needles by one size, if you're off by 1 st/inch, change by two sizes, etc., and THEN reswatch. (Ahhh, the joys of swatching! Don't hate me! )

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote