Old 12-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #21
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

If any of you actually decide on Sitcom Chic from knitty, in the size medium there are some stitch count descrepancies that I wasn't sure what to do with. I've figured something out though and will share if anyone needs the info. I won't go into it now if it isn't necessary yet.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #22
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanks amy!!!! I was going to do a big ole gauge lecture later, but now I don't have to :D

I like that sunset pullover! It's very light looking. I like the vacation yarn, too--I was actually thinking about using that for my summer project--but it woul dmake a nice light spring sweater, too!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #23
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Actually, I was thinking of how much faster it would be to knit a size 2

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #24
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
Amy, I have read that it's a good idea to also measure your swatch while it's hanging (like you would wear it) with some weights attached. Do you think this is also a good idea for garments?
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:46 PM   #25
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

wouldn't the weights stretch it some and give an innacurate gauge?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #26
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
I think the weights are actually supposed to mimic the weight of the whole sweater and how it will pull down while it's worn.

I also saw this demonstrated on knitty gritty by Lily Chin.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:04 AM   #27
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hmmm, maybe in cotton, or some other yarn that creates an especially heavy fabric. I've not done this myself. I'd worry about a stretched-out innacurate gauge, as Hildie says. I wouldn't think you'd want to do it with most wool sweaters. Maybe with cotton, or an object that is especially long and weighty? I'd like to hear more of what Lilly Chin's instructions were. Interesting thought!

Another good thing to do is to wash your swatch before measuring. Wash and dry as you would the garment, and measure it afterwards.

Hildie, sorry if this is all a lot of info early on in your KAL!
We can go back to drooling over potential projects now.
...I think Mariah is pretty cool.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:16 AM   #28
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Maybe you're right! It does kind of seem like a weird thing to do.

My only other tip would be to remind everyone to take good measurments of your body before you begin. I say if you're going to go through the trouble to knit a sweater, it should fit how *you* like it. With your body measurements and your swatch, you can alter patterns to fit you best.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:19 AM   #29
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I didn't mean to dismiss the idea of weighting the swatch. Lilly Chin is quite a brain, so I'm sure there's something to it, just not sure what she had in mind. I'd love to hear more.

Great tip on measuring.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 AM   #30
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

This is from diynet.com, a transcript of what Lily says during the swatch segment.

Correct Measuring of Swatch

Instead of measuring your swatch and your knitting flat on a table, why not get a more accurate picture of "the real world"? That is, you'd wear your sweaters in a vertical position, so why not measure the swatch and sweater upright as well?

This is known as a hung gauge, a method by which you let gravity take its toll. Use pushpins to place the swatch up to a corkboard, or use straight pins to fasten the swatch to a hanging towel on the towel rack. I've even taped the swatch up to a wall using masking tape or duct tape. Again, this emulates "real life," and the gauge may change in this position. This is the position use to match the dimensions of the pattern.

Weight With Clothespins
Sometimes it's not enough to let a swatch hang. If it's inelastic yarn such as cotton or silk or rayon, or if the gauge is on the loose side and the fabric is not firm, or if the yarn is very heavy and bulky, use clothespins along the bottom of the swatch to give a more accurate measurement (figure B).

Again, I don't know how much of this is true or not, as I've never actually finished a top.

I'm cool with whatever works, hehe.

Denise