Old 01-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #11
Sandylynn
Casting On

picking up stitches for ruffle
Hi,
though I promised my 16 y.o. to finish her scarf before I start mine, I think I'm going to take some time to experiment with the ruffles. Thanks, Tamar, for the hints on the extra needles - do you need to use double-pointed needles for this? If so, are there accessories to buy to stop up the end so stitches don't fall off? The video on this site on picking up stitches was very helpful, though they demonstrate picking up on the end of a piece...

[Tamar, I love Netanya! When we did vacation in Israel, we made it our jumping off point since dear friends (who since moved back stateside) lived there for several years. Their apartment was not far from the "boardwalk." Elliot was actually in Israel for two non-consecutive years. The first in his junior year of college when he studied (and learned Hebrew) at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, and the second year also in Jerusalem at Hebrew Union College studying for the rabbinate. He travels to Israel with his organization (Central Conference of American Rabbis - the association for reform rabbis) about every four years and we're hoping (depending on finances) to go with him next time.]

Well, off to chores...
Sandy Lynn
Sandylynn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

Hi Sandy,

The spare short needles that I have are double pointed (but they don't have to be) and I tend to stop the stiches from sliding off using elastic bands. May be you can think of a better way. But that's what the friend that has lent me those needles suggested.

You might not like Netanya as much anymore (I don't know when you were here last) because it has recently changed for the worst.

My brothers who live in Syracuse go to a reformed synagogue and I once saw a lady with a kipa there!!!

Write to you again soon when I get some more time.
Tamar Dohel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
melissa.atkins
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to melissa.atkins Send a message via Yahoo to melissa.atkins Send a message via Skype™ to melissa.atkins
Originally Posted by Tamar Dohel
Welcome Melissa!

Nice to have you with us. I like the scarf you knitted on your website. May be you could share your secret pattern with us.
Thank you Tamar!!!

I made that one in less than one day because it was my SIL's gift... I decided to make it really easy to remember so whenever my DH asked something I wouldnt mess it up. If I remember correct I CO 30, and just knit slipping one at the end on every row and purling it at the beginning of the next one. The yarn I used is Bernat Soft Boucle.(I love that yarn, it is sooooo soft!)
Old 01-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #14
Sandylynn
Casting On

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has started the Latifa scarf yet? I'm still only half way done with my 16-year-old's scarf (I'm really slow), which I promised to do first, but hope to start Latifa by sometime next week.
Sandy Lynn

[Tamar, if you're there - what did you mean about Netanya? One of my friends who was there recently said there's alot of development going on - is this what you mean? And not only do women wear kipah - they also become rabbis!]
Old 01-14-2006, 03:18 AM   #15
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

To Sandy,

I've just finished knitting my dad a scarf for his birthday (I'll soon attach a picture in "What'cha knitting" forum) and I've been planning to start Latifa yesterday but have not had a chance with two kids at home (one of them being my husband). I'll probably only get to sit on it tomorrow when Ronen goes back to work.

Netanya used to be a tourist town 10 or 20 years ago with middle class people (according to my mum). Now it's run down with very little tourists and lots of poor and common people who do crime and drugs. Some places have been done up by the council like near the beach but the town centre and the surrounding neighborhoods are a sorry sight.

To Sandy (1/18/06)

I forgot to mention. If you haven't already watched Amy's "Demo of a small project" video than do so. It is very helpful.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #16
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

Hi everyone,

I bought this yarn for making Latifa. It's 100% cotton and is a bit shiny rather than matte (as suggested on the original pattern). Does it matter? Would it still look good with the Koigu wool colour #121 in the middle?

Thanks

Sandy, I've just posted a picture in What'cha knittin' forum.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	latifa_yarn.jpg
Views:	2425
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24286  
Old 02-02-2006, 05:03 AM   #17
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

This is what I've started.

I threaded some spare yarn through the cast on stitches because I'll be returning to them. Also, where I've changed colours I've kept the stitches loose too and they'll be covered up later on with the ruffles.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	latifa.jpg
Views:	2354
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	24755  
Old 02-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #18
Sandylynn
Casting On

Hi,
[Tamar, it's peculiar - I have been relying on the email notification when someone posts to this thread and though your last post is dated Jan 14, I just got the notification on Feb 2....]

I am almost ready to begin my Latifah scarf. Alex's scarf is nearly finished, but requires a crocheted edge all around it and first I had to teach myself to crochet. Turns out to do the edging anyway is quite easy, but Alex is asleep now and I don't want to complete it using the yarn I have on hand until I know she'll like the colors. It's a cute scarf with random buttons sewn on for decoration at each end...if I can figure out how, I'll post a photo in the other forum thread. My knitting is a bit uneven, but the photo probably won't show that (I hope).

Once it's done, I'll probably switch between Latifah and the "Manly" scarft I promised my husband, so I don't think we'll be wearing them this winter (I'm soooo slow and it's been so mild some bulbs are starting to show.)

I appreciate your photos - and hints as you go along...
all the best,
Sandy Lynn
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #19
Sandylynn
Casting On

variation?
Hi all,
I've JUST begun my Latifah scarf and have been thinking about the design. I think instead of equal blocks of colour I may vary the number of rows in a random pattern - making some wider and some more narrow, still putting the ruffle rows between the colors. What do you think?
Sandy Lynn
Old 02-07-2006, 03:45 AM   #20
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

Dear Sandy,

I have seen a scarf that was knitted using non-equal colour blocks and it's not too bad when using two colours but I think it would look a bit messy using with three or more. If the ruffles are added in I think it would look even worse.

May be try to draw it first like all clothes designers and that will give a much better idea. I could be completely wrong and it might look really nice!

Another suggestion:
Don't weave in ends until scarf is completely finished including ruffles because you'll need to either tighten or loosen stitches.

Also, if you haven't already bought the shorter needles don't worry because I think that using a piece of spare thicker yarn may be just as helpful.

Tamar