Old 01-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #11
Cristy
Instepping Out

I guess this is as good a time as any to learn something new...I have no idea what M1 is--I've watched the increase videos--or at least some of them but I'm not sure I understand when you are supposed to increase. Sigh..there is so much I don't know....I'm headed to the videos...

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Yes, you can learn. It just takes time. If you are having trouble try learning just one thing at a time. Try just mastering garter stitch first it will help with your tension and how to hold the needles and yarn.

Also another thing to consider.. Some people hold the yarn in their left hand (continental knitters) and some hold it in their right hands (english knitters or throwers). Try both ways and see what works best for you. I found that I can do it better with the yarn in my right hand.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #13
Angelia

Here's Amy's video on increases; just pick one that seems to suit your needs.

And if I frogged everything I've done because I've made a mistake, I wouldn't have anything knit at all! Gee, no wonder you are frustrated!

Just take a deep breath, and accept that mistakes happen to all of us! And most of them don't have a serious effect on the finished product, and most are easily fixable on the spot (the increases/decreases Ingrid mentioned, for instance). You're learning from them--be proud of that!

I knit a pair of socks for my husband to wear to a big interview. They had a simple 3x1 rib...but in a few places, I got out of rhythm and the knits and purls got all messed up. I didn't notice until the next row. There was no way I was going to frog the thing, so there are some minor...."hand-knit features" on his socks. :D (And those are NOT the only mistakes in those socks!) He wore them and said it was like I was there with him. He loves them because I made them for him. That's all that matters to me.

Oh, and the booga? I knit one for my best friend's daughter. (It's drying as I type.) There are several mistakes on it, but I just was not going to frog. I try never to unless I absolutely have to. (Thank heavens for felting!)

You CAN do this--knitting shouldn't be stressful--don't let it be. Remember the term "hand-knit feature" and make it your friend! :D
Old 01-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #14
Emeraldcutie
Knitting the Flap

One of the first rules of knitting is that nothing is perfect. You just learn to fudge it. I have been knitting for sometime and I still have to adjust my stitches now and then, adding here and decreasing there to keep the numbers right on the needles.

I took more to crochet then knitting at first also, I didn't think I would like knitting, too many stitches, all new dialogue to learn. Just remember its supposed to be fun and relaxing, if not then it's not worth doing.

I recommend a book called knitting without tears and knitting around by Elizabeth Zimmerman, she talks all about knitting, adjusting things etc. We don't make handmade items so that they can look, just like something we could have bought from the beginning.

Keep trying, even if you use the same ball over and over to practice (my daughter allie has a ball of acrylic-I think red heart) she uses it to practice and try new things. then rips it out and rewinds the ball again.

Best of luck, remember everyone is willing to help you. Just ask, have a tea relax, laugh, eat chocolate and enjoy the journey. Before long you will look back at this and say wow look how far I have come.
Emeraldcutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #15
Cristy
Instepping Out

Ingrid and Angelia--you guys are my heros! I just watched the videos--I was wrong about what was wrong-I increased to get another stitch and realized I had way to many stitches b/c suddenly I was ending w/ 2 Ks--so I figured out that my problem was that I had picked up and extra stitch (which probably happened when they yarn was splitting I think) so I watched the decrease video and decreased by knitting two stitches together as one.--actually I purled them together. Anyway--I went ahead and knitted another two rows b/c I didn't want to claim victory until I was sure and so far--everything seems to be working out nicely. I can see where I messed up but you're right--it's not that obvious (especially since I'm using multicolor yarn). I'll remember "hand knit touches" and carry on...thank you guys--I do tend to be a little bit of a perfectionist so it makes learning difficult--it's amazing I made it through graduate school! teheehee.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:57 AM   #16
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
What a good way to start the new year!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #17
Angelia

I knew you could do it if you just kept at it!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #18
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I'm sure you can, it's just practice practice and perhaps sitting with someone maybe with their hands on top of yours, like when we first learn to write.

I'm sure anyone with an able mind can. Just really, do what Ingrid said - sit down with some needles and watch the vids. I'd say stitck with the three basic vids - knit, purl and cast on. And watch one over and over until you get it. Because once you know how to do these, it's SO much easier to do everything else.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #19
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Angelia
the best advice that I can give is to keep knitting on one piece--no matter how hideous you think it looks, don't keep ripping it out and starting over. The reason is that when you've just started knitting, the first few rows look absolutely disgusting. They don't have definition and appear not to be knitting at all; however, they are. I grew so weary of casting on that I made myself keep going without starting over. After a few inches, the stitches started to look, well, like stitches! And after a few inches more, the rows started looking more uniform as I got into the rhythm of knitting and figured out what the best way was for me to hold the yarn and needles.
ITA!

I resisted ripping from the beginning, and seeing it work out a few rows in, or the difference between one day's work and the product of the a few days later was an immeasurable help to me. Ripping has it's place, as Kelly mentioned to me when I first came here (and I now see why) but it can be a little discouraging if you do it too much in the beginning.

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
Cristy
Instepping Out

well, so far so good--I can see the mistakes but I'm okay w/ them and I'm glad I didn't rip it all out. I think I'll be done with it by later tonight. It's sad how long it has taken me to do this one little sock... :crying: