Old 12-31-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Fresh meat
I'm confused here, not that that's hard to do with me. But I'm used to prepackaged meats, mostly ground beef. But since I've been cooking more I went to this fresh meat market someone recommended to me. I purchased some chuck roast and after a week I hadn't used it so I threw it into the freezer. I thawed it last night and this morning it smelled quite awful. I asked the guy at the meat market today and he said that it's good for a max of 4 days. Does that sound right? I just seem to remember meat lasting longer then that. :thinking:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
ecuzzacrea
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to ecuzzacrea
if it wasn't frozen RIGHT AWAY it shouldn't be used after 4 days - he's right.

i get most of my meat from a butcher shop. anything that i'm not using right away gets frozen.
ecuzzacrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Ok, I'm just mixed up.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

A lot of prepackaged meats are either vacuum sealed or put into a carbon dioxide atmostphere. Both of these will extend the shelf life of many meats... but when you think about it, if the fresh doesn't last that long, do you really want to eat something that's been kept fresh artificially?

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Ack that sounds nasty. I agree with everyone you should have froze it within 4 days or even the day of purchasing. We only buy ground hamburger in the store because we run out of it alot. My mom buys in bulk and splits it up and freezes it the same day or day after.

We did that on accident before and ended up eating the meat and getting sick
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Angelia

When I saw the thread subject, I thought this was a newbie introducing him or herself... FRESH MEAT! :rofling:

I am scared of raw meat. If I can't use it the day I buy it, I don't buy it. Even freezing it makes me nervous; our freezer defrosts waaay to often, and I worry about thawing and the ensuing bacteria party. I never buy chicken anymore because it tastes funny--all of it. I rarely order it out, either. I don't know what the taste is; all I know is that it's off. I guess it's all those steroids and antibiotics and crap. Chicken hasn't always tasted this way.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
I thought a newbie was being introduced, too! There was a report on one of the more 'newsie' shows about meat. They marked certain packages of meat at the grocery store and noted the expiration date. When they went back after that date, some of the same meat was there, but with a new expiration. Makes you wonder.

Just because a store says it sells 'fresh' meat, it doesn't mean it's fresh. It could have been sitting around for days before you bought it. A week is a bit long to sit in the fridge, though. I'm not overly cautious, but if I'm not using it in a couple of days I freeze it.

Angelia--try organic free range chicken--my daughter swears it tastes so much better that she couldn't stand regular anymore.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Angelia

That is really scary about the changed dates on meat!!! Gee, after that big bleach stink at...what was the name of that store chain that bleached rotting meat to make it look better?...I thought they'd tightened up consumer safety measures.

I'm going to have to find some organic free-range chicken! I love chicken; in fact, it is my favorite of all the meats because it holds flavors so well and is less fatty than other meats. Thanks Ingrid!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
We don't eat anything that's been sitting in the fridge more than a couple days even if it has been cooked. If we can't eat it right away we freeze it.

Please read these guidelines so you don't get sick.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote