Old 01-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Sweater KAL - Basic Sweater Contstruction
Just trying to do the part where I read and try to understand how the pattern is laid out...

The sweater pattern I picked for the Sweater KAL seems to say that you knit the body in 2x2 rib, set aside a certain number of stitches for the armholes, knit the sleeves seperately, and then attach them to the body. But then it talks about continung the rib after the sleeves are made, and I don't get it. :(

The relevant portion of the pattern is here:

Sleeve (make 2)
With dpns, CO 52 [60, 68, 76, 82] sts. Place marker and join to begin working in the round, being careful not to twist.
Work in 2x2 rib until work measures 2.5[3, 3.5, 4, 4.5] inches. Place next 12[14,16,18,20] sts on waste yarn. Place all rem sts on spare dpns, break yarn, leaving a long tail. Set aside.

Join Sleeves to Body
NOTE: Read through this entire step before beginning.
Using circular needle and ball of yarn attached to body, and working in 2x2 rib as set, work across 40[46, 52, 58, 64] sts of one sleeve, work across 60[66, 74, 82, 88] sts of front of body, work across 40[46, 52, 58, 64] sts of second sleeve, work across 60[66, 74, 82, 88] sts of back of body.
There should now be 200[224, 252, 280, 304] sts on the circular needle, and the sleeves and body should be joined, ready for the yoke to be worked. At the underarms, the sts on waste yarn from the body and from the sleeves will be opposite each other. These sts will be joined later on.

I can't see in my head exactly what I'm supposed to do (like I can with some patterns) here, and it's making me nervous... in the underlined portion especially...

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It sounds odd, and it will be awkward for the first few rounds, but what you're doing is basically working the sleeve up to the armpit. Then you're attaching the front back and sleeves at the point right above the armpit, since the sleeve is no longer a tube at this point.

Imagine laying a raglan sweater on it's side and folding it along the center of the front and back. The sleeve top is flat at this point. You're changing the tubular sleeve to a flat top and attaching the sweater into one piece from armhole to neck.

This is one of those cases where you just follow the directions as written and then go back and see what you've done.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Thanks Ingy...

Your description actually makes a little more sense. I'll just give it a go, and come here wringing my hands if it's not working out.
I've had the experience of only really getting it post knit tho, so I know what you mean.

As ever, Santa Ingrid, you rock.

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote