Old 01-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Knittens
Ribbing the Cuff

Sore wrists
I was wondering if there was a 'cure' for them. I am an English knitter and my right hand that I throw the yarn with has begun to hurt when I move it a certain way sometimes. Are there any stretchs or any ways to make it go away? Thanks in advance!

-Elizabeth
Knittens is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
ItsBecca
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsBecca
You might try twisting your wrist around like you're stretching it...also, would wearing a wrist brace be too constricting?

Wife to Jerm since 11-97
Mommy to:
Rachelle 7
Issac 5
Ethan 3
Lucas Gage due Sept 15, 2008

Knitter's Geek Code:
KER Exp+ Spm++ Steel Syn Nov Stash- Scale+ Fin+ Tex KIP W B Cr++ X Sw++
OTN: HP Scarf
Shawl
ItsBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Sometimes you need to take a break or try knitting another way. Taking a break works for me so far.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
ItsBecca
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsBecca
Mine don't get too bad, with 3 kids I only get to knit about an hour at a time twice a day.

Wife to Jerm since 11-97
Mommy to:
Rachelle 7
Issac 5
Ethan 3
Lucas Gage due Sept 15, 2008

Knitter's Geek Code:
KER Exp+ Spm++ Steel Syn Nov Stash- Scale+ Fin+ Tex KIP W B Cr++ X Sw++
OTN: HP Scarf
Shawl
ItsBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Lana
Turning the Heel

Oh my, I recommend no knitting for a while.

You've heard of tennis elbow? Well, I once had knitter's elbow so bad I couldn't turn a door knob or hold a glass. I allowed it get so bad, that short rests didn't help. I finally gave up knitting for almost 5 years. I missed it too much. I modified my method just a little and I have to remember not to knit too fast. I make each stitch with a count of three and move my hands slowly.
It's slow, but worth it.
Lana <<<<<< I can't knit like that anymore.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
Angelia

Oh, I know this pain!

Take frequent breaks, and be sure to give your wrists a good stretch BEFORE you knit. (Bend your hand back as far as it will go comfortably, roll your wrists, etc.) In fact, give all of yourself a good stretch before you knit and when you break.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm sorry you're hurting, that's so frustrating! I had the same problem after a major knitting marathon trying to finish a sweater. What helped me:
1. Take breaks and stretch about every twenty minutes, I make myself stretch every commercial break if I'm watching TV. (be careful of movies, I knit straight through LOTR: The Return of the King, OUCH!)

2. Try to have projects with different size needles, it makes you use muscles slightly differently.

3. If you can, learn to knit continental. I started out English, now I can switch back and forth (my tension's the same with both now) within a project, but even if you have a project being knit english and one continental it really helps.

Hope you feel better soon!
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
njknitter
Knitting the Flap

BEWARE of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!!! My mother (not a knitter) has this and it is really a drag! The two links below (Web MD and The Arthritis Society) both list prolonged KNITTING as a possible cause.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/stc123626.asp
http://www.arthritis.ca/types%20of%2...efault.asp?s=1

Specific warm up exercises to help prevent Carpal Tunnel can be found at this link: http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm
njknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hey Knittens! You're in Michigan? I'm from Michigan but left many years ago. Well all the advice is right on. What I've found to be very important for me coz I get a sore wrist too... I have 3 or 4 projects going at the same time. I always have a pair of socks on small dpns. I find the afghan and vest I'm making which are on Size 11 straights, does make my wrist hurt after awhile, so I put that away for a day and just work on the smaller needles, my socks. I don't know if you make socks or work on small needles but they are much less stressful than big needles on the wrist, I've found anyhow.

Yeah, and stretching exercises for the hands and wrists. My Pilates teacher always finished the class off by having us put our arms straight up in the air and MAKE A FIST then stretch hands out, repeat, then just kind of waving our wrists around in lazy circles. Important if you knit a lot!

good luck & cheers,

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I have arthritis and my hands get tired. I'm also an English knitter, but modified. I don't throw the yarn anymore. It's sort of a combination of English and Continental. I can do Continental, but it's still awkward, but when I learned (recently in fact) how to hold the yarn in my right hand with the string coming up over my index finger that I could move the needle slightly and use just my finger to wrap the yarn around the needle. Your hand movement is greatly reduced and I have less "tired-feeling" hands when knitting in this way. I hope that all makes sense. I basically hold the yarn like Amy does in her videos, but instead of moving the whole hand I am using just the finger.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote